    change in day light saving time change being moved. Is there a mac os
    x link that addresses the issue?

    Mike

    mmccaws2, Jan 5, 2007

  2. mmccaws2

    Gerry Guest

    What are "home grown apps"?

    Since it is the operating system that sets the date and time Apple will
    probably, if they haven't already, make it so that the time will "Spring
    Forward" and "Fall Back" at the new times.

    Gerry, Jan 5, 2007

  3. mmccaws2

    Király Guest

    Just make sure you are running 10.4.5 or later:

    "[the 10.4.5 update] Updated the rules for time zones and Daylight Savings
    Time to conform to changes in the law for the United States, Australia, and
    other locations, for 2006 and later."

    Király, Jan 5, 2007
  4. (... although Apple unapologetically made no effort to support the changes
    to DST in Western Australia from Dec 3rd 2006.....)

    Chris McDonald, Jan 5, 2007
  5. mmccaws2

    mmccaws2 Guest

    Thanks everyone.

    Home grown apps in my humble point of view, are those apps are like
    some of the utilities that put together, often with warnings that you
    use at own risk. And surely anything that I put together for myself.

    Mike

    mmccaws2, Jan 5, 2007
  6. mmccaws2

    mmccaws2 Guest

    AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! Now I'm worried.

    mmccaws2, Jan 5, 2007
  7. mmccaws2

    Grandpa Guest

    Oh I don't know personally, but you might check out KMFDM, they
    allegedly have the time changing issue well under control ;-)

    Grandpa, Jan 5, 2007
  8. The system updates include timezone changes. No program which
    believes the system will have any problem.

    William Mitchell, Jan 5, 2007
  9. mmccaws2

    Paul Sture Guest

    From a post on 23-Nov-2006, re the change in Western Daylight Time:

    "Information on Daylight Savings will be made available on the new
    www.wa.gov.au website from Monday 27 November 2006, coinciding with
    advertisements on radio and in newspapers that week.

    Yes, this is an exact cut and paste, and on enquiry, you can't yet get
    any more info."

    You couldn't make this stuff up...

    Paul Sture, Jan 5, 2007
  10. mmccaws2

    ZnU Guest

    Sure, but some apps may use their own routines for calculating the
    relationship between dates, etc. This can be problematic, obviously, if
    the apps don't understand the new rules, or if the apps and the OS don't
    implement the same rules.

    ZnU, Jan 5, 2007
  11. mmccaws2

    ZnU Guest

    If an app wants to know the current time, it asks the OS, yes.

    If an app wants to know (for instance) how much time separates two
    dates, it may use the operating system's date calculation libraries, or
    some third-party libraries, or its own internal routines.

    ZnU, Jan 6, 2007
  12. mmccaws2

    Eric Lindsay Guest

    Nor do they support Central West Australian time, for the 45 or so
    people who might use it.

    Eric Lindsay, Jan 6, 2007
  13. mmccaws2

    mmccaws2 Guest

    There is a music group KMFDM what are you referring to?

    mmccaws2, Jan 8, 2007
  14. mmccaws2

    Randy Howard Guest

    They'll call one of the OS functions to get time, for example, the
    aptly named time() function, which will "do the right thing". Let the
    paranoid have their fun, but no need to join in.

    Randy Howard, Jan 10, 2007