How does the "eye candy" of the ATI 9800Pro compare to that of an ATI 9600XT?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by jingram, Oct 9, 2005.

  1. jingram

    jingram Guest

    Hello,

    How does the "eye candy" of the ATI 9800Pro compare to that of a 9600XT? I
    currently have an Sapphire 9600XT and I'm actually considering the
    All-in-Wonder versions of each, but wanted to get an idea of what I should
    expect in terms of visual improvements from the 9800Pro.. The games I play
    the most are Unreal Tournament 2004, Need for Speed Underground 2, and Doom
    3 I
    also expect to play Need for Speed Most Wanted when it comes out next
    month.. I'd imagine that my frame rates would go up given the faster clock
    speeds, but how much of a visual improvemnet if any should I expect?

    Also, anyone have any major problems with the 9800Pro? I've had my 9600XT
    for over a year now and I've been satisfied with it thus far. I've not
    even had problems with video drivers, a major concern when I switched to an
    ATI card.

    Thanks for any and all input,

    Jeff

    jingram, Oct 9, 2005

  2. jingram

    Glitch Guest

    jingram wrote:
    /cut/

    First of al, the 9800Pro is an old card and even if you find one for
    sale it's not advisable to buy it.The best thing you could get for that
    money is a nVidia 6600GT or a ATI X700Pro.
    However the best bang for the buck today is the X800 or X800GT.
    In any case 9800Pro would be an upgrade toy our 9600XT but I wouldn't
    advise you to buy it.

    Glitch, Oct 9, 2005

  3. jingram

    Augustus Guest

    Yeah, that really answers his question. The "old" 9800 Pro's visuals look
    identical to a 9600XT. They're both decent DX9 cards, but the 9600XT lags
    behind in framerates and throughput. By about 30-40%. The "old" 9800 Pro is
    just fine for most any new game, so long as you don't require resolutions
    greater than 1024x768 with options on, it'll do fine. There's no real
    performance difference to speak of between a 6600GT or X700 Pro until you go
    above 1024x768 and turning on FSAA and AF. All are modern DX9 cards. None
    support Pixel Shader 3.0. So getting an X700Pro thinking the visuals or eye
    candy will be any different is just wrong.

    Augustus, Oct 9, 2005
  4. jingram

    Dan Guest

    Well put but the 6600GT does suppoer ps 3.0.

    Dan

    Dan, Oct 9, 2005
  5. jingram

    jingram Guest

    Thanks for actually answering my question.

    Jeff

    jingram, Oct 9, 2005
  6. jingram

    AAvK Guest

    Hell, I just bought an x800xl made by ATI, and have decided to return it for
    a Leadtek 6800gt which has a slower core clock speed. Too many games
    don't function right with it, crash or shut the computer flat_off. That's too
    much money for those results. Everything ran perfectly with the old Ti4600
    tho... just lower graphics.

    AAvK, Oct 10, 2005
  7. jingram

    feldrew Guest

    I only know a bit about cards but as I've contemplated upgrading my
    3-year old ti4600 (still doing pretty good w/ ut04, d3, and hl2), one
    additional consideration may be power. I have a 4x/8x agp slot in my
    Dell but my power supply is meager - I doubt I could adequately power
    some of the newer cards. That might be a consideration for this guy
    regarding his upgrade from the 9600, perhaps? Of course, that's the rub
    w/ all of the Dell stuff - proprietary psu's, mobo's and such.

    feldrew, Oct 10, 2005
  8. jingram

    lbaker34 Guest

    I have upgraded the power supply in my Dell. Just let the vendor know
    that your purchase will be used in a Dell. Some power supplies are
    wired specifially for use in a Dell computer. Otherwise an adapter
    cable can be used.

    lbaker34, Oct 10, 2005
  9. jingram

    farmuse Guest

    you are joking right, the 9800 came out less than two years ago.
    old, gimme a break. Old is a Stealth 2000, but not a card that is not
    even made it to it's second birthday. Plenty capable.

    they are both Direct X 9 cards, the 9800 is faster.

    farmuse, Oct 10, 2005
  10. jingram

    everlast Guest

    That's what I've got in a off-the-shelf Dell Dimension 8300 with a gig of memeory.

    It's been aboslutely fine, with one exception. When I did the internet update from from Doom 1.0 to 1.3, everything
    that should have been transparent in the game turned opaque green.

    Re-installing drivers did no good. For some reason uninstalling Doom, reinstalling and reupdating fixed the problem.

    everlast, Oct 16, 2005