    For ventilation purposes, that is. I'm planning to do some overclocking so
    I figure every little bit helps. 6"? 8"? Or does it not matter as long as
    you have some good fans?

    OodlesOFun, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Hi,

    I would think the more space the better. If the wall is too close you will
    impede the airflow away from the PC, and maybe slightly reduce the
    *effectiveness* of the exhaust fans.

    Wayne Youngman, Dec 31, 2003

  3. OodlesOFun

    DX Guest

    Hmmmm after spending less than a few nanoseconds on this one the most apt
    response is

    GROW UP AND GET A LIFE......

    ......next

    dx

    DX, Dec 31, 2003
  4. OodlesOFun

    OodlesOFun Guest

    Wow, what a life you must have. Scouring usenet for posts logically mean't
    for the correct newsgroup, judging said posts, and then replying "get a
    life". As I said: "Wow".

    OodlesOFun, Dec 31, 2003
  5. OodlesOFun

    Spencer Guest

    DX,

    I think you have just shot yourself in the foot.
    We will remember the next time you need any help.

    Spence

    Spencer, Dec 31, 2003
  6. For ventilation purposes, that is. I'm planning to do some overclocking
    so
    6" will be more than adequate.

    Resistance to airflow is a function of the velocity of that airflow, which
    for PC fans is very little - not many m/sec for 0.5 cubic feet a second.

    A typical ideal minimum of 3" should be assumed really, 6" is fine.
    Resistance will follow a logarithmic relationship with the benefit of moving
    from 2" to 3" being quantifiable, but 5" to 6" hitting law of diminishing
    returns.

    The bigger resistance (by far) is likely to be 0.0" from the fans - the
    grills.
    o Many cases use a punched perforated/slotted grill - often only 45-55% free
    air
    o By comparison a round-wire-grill is around 87-91% free air, much higher

    You may detect a quantifiable in-case-temperature change by moving a case
    from 1" to 6" from a wall, however far greater will be changing the case
    grills.
    Same goes for improving the intake - many PCs are very restrictive inlets.

    Right idea, wrong area to focus on - the grills are often a near 50% brick
    wall
    right against the fans themselves - literally 0.0" from the fan, and <0.25"
    from blades.
    That creates considerable turbulence and static resistance to airflow since
    so close.

    Dorothy Bradbury, Dec 31, 2003
  7. OodlesOFun

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Agreed. Personally I think a couple of inches is enough as long as it's not
    in a corner. I usually go by how much the power and video cable bend, which
    turns out to be around a couple of inches. Any more than that and it ain't
    good for them to bend that close to a connector. My temps seem fine going by
    this rule of thumb. (I have tried moving them out a little to see if it made
    a difference and it doesn't seem to, unless they are in a corner).

    ~misfit~, Dec 31, 2003
  8. Ironically you've just told me why there are no right-angle SVGA connectors,
    because it would allow people to put cases too close to walls as a result. Yes,
    SVGA cable bend-radius is about 3", and not less than that for KVM cables.

    A pet hate of mine re multi-motherboard flight-case "wasting" 3.5" in front of
    the cases to allow SVGA cables to be plugged in. Ok, rare since even BIOS
    level thin-client exists - but it is still required until that's defacto & no legacy.

    I guess there are right-angle-housings, just no-one's has productionised a lead.
    IEC go right-angles in any direction (ie, preferably not across a 1U fan outlet!).

    Dorothy Bradbury, Jan 1, 2004
  9. OodlesOFun

    dx Guest

    LMFAO
    will you really you sad sad fool....
    want me to put it to the test Spence ??

    idiot

    DX

    dx, Jan 1, 2004
  10. OodlesOFun

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I agree with Spence. *You* are the idiot. No answers will be forthcoming
    from me to you.

    ~misfit~, Jan 1, 2004
  11. OodlesOFun

    jeffc Guest

    You're just encouraging him to change his name and post some inane question
    just to waste more bandwidth. The best way to deal with idiots like that is
    to totally ignore their post. They desparately seek attention.

    jeffc, Jan 8, 2004