    I've turned everything off, services, etc. and still no go.

    so what gives? how fast of a CPU minimun is needed to capture to DVD
    Mpeg? it says 500mhz minimum on the box.

    dave, Feb 18, 2004

  2. dave

    Bilar Crais Guest

    I had an Xp1700 (1.47Ghz), which I feel was just barely adequate to
    capture mpeg2. I just upgraded to an AthlonXP mobile, which I am
    running at 2.6Ghz, and it is more than a match for mpeg2 capture.
    In fact, while capturing with a DVD profile with MMC, I was able to do
    most anything I wanted while capturing and still not drop frames.
    So probably at the very least 1.5Ghz; obviously the higher, the better.
    An Athlon 1G ain't gonna cut it.

    Bilar Crais, Feb 18, 2004

  3. dave

    DD Guest

    It depends on your operating system and how much crap you run in the
    background. I have been creating digital video since all I had was a 600MHz
    CPU, but it would have problems if I left anything running on the computer
    at all: ZoneAlarm, Norton AntiVirus, SETI, WinAmp Stub, PC-Cillin, anything
    at all.

    On Windows XP there are tons of services and other little gifts from
    Micro$oft running all the time, a default install of XP Pro has trouble
    capturing video on a 2GHz CPU with a simple firewall and an antivirus
    program running.

    I don't know how deeply you like to delve into the workings of your computer
    and operating system, but a good tune-up would probably allow you to capture
    video without any problems.

    DD

    DD, Feb 18, 2004
  4. dave

    dave Guest

    im running winXP, bare bones. all services are off. and frames are
    dropping like hotcakes. so as the previous poster said "1ghtz aint
    gonna cut it". even w/ 512Megs RAM im having problems w/ dvd and svcd.

    i wonder what ATI was thinking when they printed "minimum 500mhtz to
    capture MPEG2"???

    dave, Feb 19, 2004
  5. dave

    Bilar Crais Guest

    If you are on a budget, the new Duron 1.6 and 1.8Ghz are an excellent
    value, going for about 37 and 45 dollars US respectively. They have a
    T'bred core, and the smaller L2 cache, unlike a Celeron, does not
    adveresly affect performance when compared to the AthlonXP. Recently,
    when my XP1700 exploded, I bought a Duron 1.6 until I could afford
    something better. I encoded Mpeg2 DVD without a single frame dropped.
    They are very O/C friendly too;
    I had mine running at 200/200FSB at 2420Ghz, prime95 stable. Not bad
    for a $37.00 processor.

    Bilar Crais, Feb 19, 2004