How identical for dual channel support

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Oliver, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Oliver

    Oliver Guest

    I purchased a second memory module so I have a pair to use later, on a
    motherboard with a dual channel memory interface( GA-7N400PRO2 ).

    I noticed there are a different number of chips on each module. The newest
    has chips only on one side.

    Both read as follows.

    Purchased last year:
    512MB 184-PIN DIMM 64MX64 DDR PC2700
    CT6464Z335.16T2

    Today:
    512MB 184-PIN DIMM 64MX64 DDR PC2700
    CT6464Z335.8T2

    How identical must the memory modules be to work with dual channels?
    The difference in the above is 16T2 vs 8T2. What does that mean?

    Thanks in advance

    Oliver

    Oliver, Mar 2, 2004

  2. Oliver

    DaveW Guest

    They must be a MATCHED pair. Identical; and preferably tested as a pair at
    the factory. Otherwise you'll simply be running single channel RAM.

    DaveW, Mar 2, 2004