How is the stock heatsink/fan?

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Eternally, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Eternally

    Eternally Guest

    I was just wondering how good the stock heatsink/fan is and how loud is it.

    It's gonna be for a 2500+ processor that will have the FSB OC'd to 200 to
    get it to run at 3200+. It's going in a great case with good cooling (Antec
    Sonata).

    Does the stock heatsink/fan hold up to OC'ing? I've seen people write that
    they OC'd and are using the stock HSF, but I don't know if they are the rule
    or the exception to the rule.

    Problem is, the mobo is a great mobo (Abit NF7-S V2) but a couple of reviews
    mention that you will probably need to remove the PSU to change the HSF
    because of poor placement. Also, the case doesn't have a droppable wall for
    the mobo, so replacing the HSF will be a pain.

    Finally, noise level is a concern (after all it is going into a case that
    specializes in being quiet). Is it very loud or respectable/typical?

    Thanks!

    Eternally, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Hi,
    it's quite hard to remove the HSF on this mobo if you case is a little
    cramped, I had to do it outside the case and then carefully lower the whole
    thing down into the case. If you have a bigger case or one with removable
    tray it would be allot easier. . .

    Wayne Youngman, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Eternally

    Eternally Guest

    Yes, I know. (Didn't I already say that? :) ) That's why I'm asking if the
    stock heatsink and fan will keep my Processor cool enough (while OC'ing) and
    if it's not too loud. Because, I don't want to have to change it out later.

    Thanks though.

    Eternally, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Eternally

    Coyoteboy Guest

    The stock HSF with the 2500+ is naff - barely keeps mine in decent temps
    though is reasonably quiet. I'm looking to shift up to water cooling for
    stealthy cooling :D

    James

    Coyoteboy, Jan 27, 2004
  5. I just swapped by stock fan for a Kingwing KCU-702 Fan and some Artic Silver
    5.0. The fan was reasonable and surprisingly quiet, most of the noise comes
    from the two case fans and the power supply.

    I have a Barton 2500+ which is running at the moment at 200x11. The stock
    fan Prime 95 torture test would sit at 61 C, with the new fan installed, I
    am at 52 C. I also upped the core voltage with new fan to 1.725 V, hoping
    for some added stability, athough the system appears to be rock solid at a
    FSB of 200 MHz.

    My power supply was also in the way, but many cases let you drop the MoBo
    off from the bottom or back depending on your perspective.

    It made installing the new fan somewhat simple. The MoBo was mounted on
    chassis that swung out from the bottom, once the side panel of the case was
    removed.

    I wish I knew I had that feature the last time, I upgrade the MoBo.

    Pete

    Peter Harrington, Jan 28, 2004
  6. Eternally

    Cheah TE Guest

    Cheah TE, Jan 28, 2004
  7. Eternally

    CiRcUiT Guest

    What is your ambient room temp? I'm running 11x200 on 2500+ (1.75v core) at
    38C idle and 42C under load (case is 23C/room is 20C) with a ThermalTake
    Volcano 11 lapped (2 hours with 1000 and 2000 grit to a mirror finish) and
    artic silver on cpu die temperature fan speed control.

    This HSF is loud though. I had to move my PC to the floor and it is still
    loud. Between my server and this thing it sounds like a bathroom fan running
    all the time. I just turn up my Altec Lansing 521's... ;)

    [..snip..]
    [..snip..]

    In my case I have to remove my PSU to change the HSF but that is not a huge
    pain to do so...

    Circuit -=- J. Codling -=- www.jcodling.com

    CiRcUiT, Jan 28, 2004
  8. Eternally

    Ted K Guest

    I just acquired a 2500+ with an Asus A7N8X-e Deluxe MB and plan to run
    it at FSB 200 with retail fan. Postings to this group in the recent
    past lead me to believe that the AMD HSF should handle it. -- BUT I am
    not expert, just relying on what I read and will watch the temps when
    I get the new system running.

    Ted K, Jan 28, 2004
  9. Eternally

    DaveL Guest

    The stock fans are very good for normal operation, even mild overclocking
    with good case ventilation. They are also very quiet too. The PSU fan is
    usually louder.

    Dave

    DaveL, Jan 29, 2004