How Micro-pump will change the future of computer/ mobile chips.

Discussion in 'Dell' started by studyandjobs, Dec 15, 2006.

  1. studyandjobs

    studyandjobs Guest

    studyandjobs, Dec 15, 2006

  2. Can the micro pump chip carry enough coolant to actually cool a Pentium
    Core 2 Duo?

    Sparky Spartacus, Dec 16, 2006

  3. studyandjobs

    ChrisQuayle Guest

    It might, but it looks like it's designed to be an on chip solution,
    rather than a fluid cooled external heatsink.

    The article assumes more and more power consumption from chips, but with
    all the talk recently about (amongst other things) data centre power
    consumption, my guess is that low power designs will dominate in the
    years to come, even if it means sacrificing some performance. We've had
    it easy so far. As software gets more bloated, cpu perfomance and memory
    sizes have increased to keep pace, but greater efficiency will be
    required not only from hardware, but the software as well if significant
    power reduction targets are to be met...

    Chris

    ChrisQuayle, Dec 16, 2006
  4. FAR more hype than practical solution....
    Sorry guys, this will not "change the future of computer/ mobile chips."
    ...ahh, up goes the spam-meter

    -jg

    Jim Granville, Dec 16, 2006
  5. studyandjobs

    Donald Guest

    Donald, Dec 16, 2006
  6. Yes, the pump is on-chip, the coolant tank is off-chip and as big as the
    heat-sink
    :)

    Adrian Spilca, Dec 17, 2006