How much am I not using out of my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by ANTant, May 2, 2004.

  1. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Hello.

    I have an Athlon 2200+ CPU on an ASUS A7V333 motherboard with the
    latest BIOS and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB). I am wondering how
    much gaming's video performance I am not using compared to a faster
    motherboard and the next generation of Athlon/Intel CPU. You can see
    the detailed current system configurations at
    http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt ... If I were
    to upgrade, would I expect 50% jump in 3D games?

    The reason why I ask is because my newer games seem sluggish/choppy
    like Far Cry v1.1 with everything cranked up at 1152x864 resolution
    (FSAA 2x and Anisotropic 4X) with the outdoor scenes. This is with the
    newest drivers and all. Yes, clean boot too.

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "When I am at my lowest, that is when I see things the clearest. It's
    hard to care about ants when you're soaring with eagles." --unknown
    | |o o| | E-mail: or
    \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup/mailing
    ( ) list.

    ANTant, May 2, 2004

  2. ANTant

    dug Guest

    dude y don't u overclock your baton and maximize your potential.
    I,did [email protected],1.65v,
    [email protected]+ speed 17502 in mark 3d 2001.
    with:
    abit nf7-s
    512mb crucial 3200
    sapphire 9800 pro
    nice and sweet very stable, try it you'll like it,,,,,,,,,
    it blows my geforce to bitzzzzzz.......try it you'll like it,,,,,,,,, I
    Swear*********

    dug, May 2, 2004

  3. ANTant

    Morgan Guest

    http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt ... If I were
    Regardless of what you would upgrade to you would see no such jump with your
    9800pro. The differences would be only incremental, small at that.
    Pop over to the official forums for that game and you will find that most of
    the posters are running at 1024x768 and nothing higher, note that I said
    most and not all. Also you will notice that some people are posting that
    there monster of a machine is suffering, depending on which of the eye candy
    settings that they have turned up, whilst others of a similar or lower spec
    insist that the gameplay is alright for them. You might want to try the
    "std" resolution and turn of the AF and AA settings on your card. I found
    that I could run that game at very high settings but reducing them made it
    "feel" more responsive to my movement.

    I have noted that you don't have the fastest of memory, but you do have 1gb
    of it, and you don't have one of the better boards to try and overclocked
    your CPU. I have a 1800XP CPU which is running at 11.5x200. It will run at
    that speed with the Vcore voltage turned up from 1.45v to 1.75v. In summer I
    have a choice... Make it sound like an helicopter or slow it down to
    11.5x180 and put the Vcore back to 1.45. And you know when I do, apart from
    benchmarks, I see little differences in games.
    But you only quote one game. And I have found, in what I play, that Farcry
    is the only one, as yet, that can test the best of the machines to the
    fullest.

    If you had have already got 1GB of 3200 memory and a NForce 2 board then for
    the effort of overclocking it, or at the worse go out and buy a XP 2500
    MOBILE (1.4v) CPU, then that is where I would go.

    Depending how deep your pockets are you might want to still upgrade but
    don't think that a 50% performance increase is coming your way :)

    --
    Regards

    Morgan

    Hard Drive noise a problem....?

    www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

    Morgan, May 2, 2004
  4. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    I don't have a Baton CPU. I have a Thoroughbred-A (Socket A) CPU. Also, I
    don't like overclocking. My room is usually 85+ degrees during heat wave.
    Yes, I have air condition but the heat travels UP to my upstair room so
    AC doesn't help much. :(

    --
    "When I was five years old, I saw an insect that had been eaten by
    ants and of which nothing remained except the shell. Through the holes

    ANTant, May 3, 2004
  5. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Really? Damn, I thought 9800 PRO would have plenty of juice and my CPU was
    a major bottleneck. I guess not! Ugh, I guess I need to save up for the next
    generation of video cards. I just bought this one last Fall for 400 bucks (ow).

    Yeah, I am the type of guy who likes to crank everything up. I sacrified FSAA,
    but I left anistropic at maximum because I can see texture details at distance.

    OK. I don't like overclocking and my room gets up to 85 degrees(F) during
    heat wave since I am in Southern CA.

    Another new game is Battlefield: Vietnam. It seems laggy when a lot of things
    are happening in jungles and complex maps.

    Thanks for the insights. I guess I will wait until it is REALLY time to
    upgrade! :)

    ANTant, May 3, 2004
  6. ANTant

    Morgan Guest

    Really? Damn, I thought 9800 PRO would have plenty of juice and my CPU was
    (ow).

    Well if I put my XP1800 to its stock speed the REAL difference in games is
    noticeable but not that much to then justify the cost of paying for a cpu
    from AMD that runs at 2300mhz that I would overclock it to.

    As the summer weather is an issue for you I would suggest that you would
    have to pay a small fortune to get any noticeable difference in your games,
    apart from benchmarks, and that is what must count.

    To keep with a 32bit AMD rig you would need to buy a 3200XP (you don't want
    to overclock) and some decent 3200 memory along with say a Abit NF7-S
    motherboard. When that was done you would notice some difference but not
    that great, really...!!!

    Morgan, May 3, 2004
  7. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Heh, I guess I am better off to save for a major computer upgrade then. :)

    ANTant, May 3, 2004
  8. ANTant

    Greg Guest

    What driver version are you using? I seen big differences in speed using
    older Cat's, currently using 3.7.

    Greg, May 8, 2004
  9. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    The latest, 4.4. I don't recall seeing significant differences between
    versions.

    ANTant, May 8, 2004