How much does heat affect general perfomance?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by adam.waterfield, Jun 26, 2006.

  1. I have a question re heat and general laptop performance.

    I have a Dell Inspiron which I bought in the UK, which I have now
    brought to Italy with me when I moved.

    It has been running fine up until about a month ago. Everything that is
    slightly demanding - a couple of games for instance, now run like a
    slideshow - these were liquid smooth before. The system in general is
    quite laggy.

    I have been tearing my hair out trying to find the issue. By trade I am
    a IT technician, and are 100% sure its virus and spyware free. The
    software seems perfect, everything is up to date, and whatsmore, I have
    made no changes that would reflect such a performance drop.

    However, the air temperature has increased by maybe 10C recently, at
    about the same time as my performance problems started.

    How much of a problem can this cause teh CPU? My laptop gets very warm
    in normal conditions anyway, but with the room temperatures probably
    been around 30-35c, how much could this affect it?

    My cpu seems to run at 100% a lot now, and it never used too.

    My problem has to be hardware, and the only thing I can think of is the
    heat increase. I thought some of my RAM modules may be screwed, but
    they appear to be ok.

    Any ideas?

    TIA, Adam

    adam.waterfield, Jun 26, 2006

  2. adam.waterfield

    Bigguy Guest

    Try blowing out the cooling vents with canned air...

    A pal of mine's Dell was running sluggish - after blowing two years of fluff
    out the vents it was back to normal.
    Many laptop CPU's reduce their clockspeed when they start to overheat.

    Guy

    Bigguy, Jun 26, 2006

  3. Thanks I will try that, although I assume it should be fairly dust
    free.

    The cpu clockspeed reducing when they start to overheat would make a
    lot of sense, do you know anyway to show if this is indeed happening?

    Adam

    adam.waterfield, Jun 26, 2006
  4. adam.waterfield

    Good Man Guest

    wrote in
    try Notebook Hardware Control... it's a tool for undervolting CPUs (and
    throttling) and it will show you your clockspeed every second, etc.

    http://www.pbus-167.com/chc.htm

    Good Man, Jun 26, 2006
  5. adam.waterfield

    iws Guest

    Mobilemeter provides a realtime graph of CPU speed and temperature.
    http://tinyurl.com/gpgpa

    iws, Jun 26, 2006
  6. adam.waterfield

    timeOday Guest

    Go inside where there is air conditioning and see if your performance
    goes back to normal.

    timeOday, Jun 27, 2006
  7. Thanks for all your suggestions, I will try these out.

    Ciao
    Adam

    adam.waterfield, Jun 27, 2006
  8. I installed one of those applications and it tells me that my CPU is
    running at 68c at idel / low load, and that my HD is at 50c.

    I understand the P4 does run hot, and that 60c would be considered
    normal during normal conditions, however, 50c seems hot for a HD.

    Would you agree that a HD at 50c would explain my system slow down?

    Adam

    adam.waterfield, Jun 28, 2006
  9. adam.waterfield

    Good Man Guest

    wrote in
    nah, most hard drives have no problems at 50c.

    what did you install a month ago?

    i would say coincidence.

    this points to a software/driver problem. whatever you installed a
    month ago is the culprit. it might not like interacting with other
    software, etc. what process is running at 100%?

    Good Man, Jun 30, 2006
  10. adam.waterfield

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    Depends on the hard drive. Some are specified with a maximum running temp
    of 45C, some with a max temp of 55C. The firmware in many drives records
    the max temperature they are operated at.
    The cooling air flow route blocks up quite quickly, and a P4 is particularly
    vulnerable. Apply a vacuum cleaner nozzle to the air intake on the
    underside of the machine periodically to remove the dust and fluff.

    M.I.5¾, Jul 4, 2006
  11. adam.waterfield

    pweegar Guest

    Try this
    Open a command prompt
    Type: chkdsk c: /f and press ente
    You SHOULD get an error message saying something about you need t
    reboot. Press the Y ke
    Reboo
    CHKDSK will run and fix any problems it find
    After the reboot do a defrag of the hard drive

    A fragmented hard drive can cause all kinds of frustrations

    IF the above doesn't work, I would download a cleaner such as Syste
    Mechanic from www.iolo.com or ccleaner (do a google search for it,
    don't have their web site addy handy)

    Install one of the above, run it, then do another defrag
    You should perform the above on a regular schedule to keep your p
    free of junk and in top performance, depending on whaty you do

    pweegar, Jul 5, 2006
  12. adam.waterfield

    Quaoar Guest

    For complete accuracy, chkdsk only checks the structure of the HD:NTFS,
    security system, etc. It does not defrag, for which one uses
    defragmenter. Chkdsk /f "fixes" the NTFS, chkdsk /r "repairs" which
    fixes the NTFS and checks and mapps out bad sectors.

    Quaoar, Jul 6, 2006