How much is this setup worth..?

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by J, Aug 23, 2005.

  1. J

    J Guest

    I just upgraded my computer, and a friend of mine with very basic
    word-processing needs wants to buy my old one. I'm looking for some
    recommendation on what to charge him for it.

    One thing worth mentioning here is that this friend sold me his car two
    years ago, and didn't give me anykind of special "friend" deal on it. He
    charged me the most he could ask for for the vehicle without cheating or
    stealing. Let's call it fair, but upper-range fair. :)

    That said, I will return the favor. I don't want to rip this guy off. But I
    don't want to do him any special favors either. Which is why I'm asking you
    guys how much I could charge for the following without stepping over the
    invisible "screw him over" line.

    17" Viewsonic P775 monitor
    AMD Thunderbird 1000 processor
    Asus A7V Socket A motherboard (with Promise controller)
    512mb Ram
    Asus GeForce2 video card (deluxe model, I forget the name)
    SB Live Gold sound card
    2 hard drives (60gb each, 120 total)
    Network card (I forget the name, but it's a good one)
    450w Antec power supply
    Original Windows XP CD

    I think that's about it, off the top of my head. Everything's running great
    and smoothly.

    How much could I charge someone for this (upper end, without screwing anyone
    over)?

    Thanks.

    J, Aug 23, 2005

  2. J

    Wes Newell Guest

    I'd say roughly $200.

    Wes Newell, Aug 23, 2005

  3. J

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    prob $200 or so.
    it's woth that much...but in today's market...it might be hard to get...
    so since he did not give you any special deal on the car...
    i guess you need not give him any special deal on the comp>

    btw: my estimate may be off a bit...
    so you may want to check on ebay

    philo, Aug 23, 2005
  4. J

    kony Guest

    XP license (the actual certificate) included?
    The power supply, case and XP are worth more than all the
    rest, if not for that I"d call it a $150 system, but with
    them, $225.

    Systems aren't so subject to fluctuation in value like cars
    are, more than anything it's age makes it low value... $225
    is being a little generous because, again, it has the
    name-brand 450W PSU and WinXP.

    kony, Aug 23, 2005
  5. J

    J Guest

    Guys, come on.. the original XP copy (/w certificate) is worth more than
    half of that. And even the most generic 17" monitor is worth more than $100,
    and this is a Viewsonic. We cracked the $200 mark just with XP and the
    monitor. Don't tell me the whole thing is worth no more than $200 at the
    very most. :(

    J, Aug 23, 2005
  6. J

    Wes Newell Guest

    I can buy new 17" monitors all day long for under $80. As for the XP
    software. It's not worth the cost of the cd it's on and that's about a
    nickel. the MB/cpu is 5 year old technology. I've already given away 2
    KT7-Raid systems faster than the one you have for sale. If you want to get
    the most for your system then piece it out and sell it on ebay. As a
    system, I wouldn't ask more than $250 for it from an enemy. Well, maybe
    $300 if they would give that for it.:)
    If this guy isn't real bright, then get ads for each individual component
    and add them up and then offer it to him for half of that price. that
    should get the price up there quite a bit.

    Wes Newell, Aug 23, 2005
  7. J

    philo Guest

    nope that's about all it's worth on the market...
    you can get *NEW* systems complete for as little as $300...
    just look at Tigerdirect if you don't believe it.
    however...since the guy did not give you any special deal on the car...
    no harm in telling him $300...
    you can always negotiate

    philo, Aug 23, 2005
  8. J

    J Guest

    Oh come on, play fair. New systems at that price are 1-piece units. The kind
    that ship with AC97 audio and won't accept a sound card or video card
    upgrade of anykind. That's cheating. These are all brand names I'm selling,
    not generics, and obviously the system isn't a 1-piece.
    Well, like I said. He sold me the car for what I would have paid for it from
    a used car salesman. No more, no less. I don't want to screw the guy. I just
    want to charge him the most I can for what the items are worth.

    As someone else pointed out, the monitor, XP CD (I don't care if anyone
    thinks XP is worth $1, it's simply not being sold at that price anywhere)
    and Antec 450 power supply unit drive the price up higher than the estimates
    you guys gave me for everything combined. :)

    C'mon. Help me get even with this guy for the damn car. ;) (Without
    stealing.)

    The damn GeForce2 was a Deluxe! It came with 3D goggles for heaven's sake!
    (LOL)

    J, Aug 24, 2005
  9. J

    J Guest

    But I never asked what you COULD find no-name generic 17" monitors for...
    first, we're talking about a brand name here, which is an instant price
    hike. Second, you missed the entire point of the posting. The question was,
    what is the MOST (not the LEAST) I can charge for this system without
    screwing the guy over?

    That it is POSSIBLE to find the items cheaper is irrelevant. What's the MOST
    they're likely to go for? And what would be the sum total of all those
    highest-possible prices?

    Again, I'm not looking to give the guy a good deal here. This guy sold me a
    used car top-dollar. He didn't screw me over, but after a bit of
    post-purchase researching, he was right at the limit. I'd like to return the
    favor.

    Thanks!

    J, Aug 24, 2005
  10. J

    philo Guest

    Here is the bottom line:
    your computer...even if made out of 50 pounds of gold...
    is only worth what someone will pay for it.
    So sell it for whatever you can get for it...
    obviously the guy who sold you the car did that.
    If the computer works fine...and the guy thinks it's a good deal...
    then that's fine...
    I'm just telling you that in the real world...
    even though you should get more than $200 for the thing...
    you probaby won't...

    However...if you *can* get more...then by all means do so.

    Here is a slightly unrealated but *true* story.
    I recently sold a very old sports car that I had owned for 30 years.
    Yes...it was a 1959 Triumph TR-3...that still had a good engine...
    but was basically in terrible shape. I got $560 for it.
    After talking to a number of people who do car restoration...I learned that
    it would take
    about $25,000 to fully restore a car such as mine.
    When I asked them how much it would be worth...once restored...
    I was told: $15,000. It's a work of love.
    Well that's why I sold it for $560 and was glad to be done with it ! :)

    philo, Aug 24, 2005
  11. J

    CBFalconer Guest

    Well, I have a better attitude towards older machines. I would
    certainly give you $300 FOB my address, provided it has ECC memory,
    or even capability. Without ECC it is a disaster waiting to
    happen. I don't consider XP an advantage though.

    CBFalconer, Aug 24, 2005
  12. J

    kony Guest

    No, Viewsonic is not a value-added name brand. Sony/etc
    are. It wasn't even a good monitor when new, and now aged.
    If it's clean enough to eat off of, and bright, crisp, less
    than 3 years old, it's worth $30.
    The most you can charge is fair market value. If it were a
    friendly sale, it'd cost $100 or you'd just give it to him.
    It is MOST likely the box wouldnt' sell for over $200
    because it has a mere 1GHz CPU in it. Plus, anyone out
    there looking for such a system is aware you're not the only
    person in the world with an old computer, so certainly they
    know price comparisions could save $.
    Your argument is invalid. You chose to buy the car... if it
    was overpriced, you shouldn't have bought it. Similarly,
    you can set a price on the box and he accepts or declines.
    If he's just a stingy friend then just price it at fair
    value and skip the whole relationship it has to some past
    car purchase.

    If you consider the box worth more than $225, you should
    keep it.

    kony, Aug 24, 2005
  13. J

    kony Guest

    Yes, but they're NEW. Did you pay same price for that car
    as it sells for new? I mean current model new price, not
    past years' price since automobiles have gotten more
    expensive while computers cheaper and multiplie times
    faster.

    That's ridiculous. Any box with a PCI slot will.

    BUT, the pieces are only better than all-integrated was
    THEN, not necessarily now. Today an nForce2 motherboard's
    video may be as fast as your old GF2 card. The sound card
    is still better but how many people who dont' know a lot
    about computers really put extra value into which card it
    has? Of those people, how many buy old systems for more
    than $100?
    You might need a gun and some drugs to make this happen. If
    you hate the guy that much just avoid him. You did take his
    offer on the car, when you could've countered or researched
    it beforehand.

    A bit of advice- always research value on any big-ticket
    item before purchase. Inevitably anything that's overpriced
    will be on the market longer, the percentage of bad deals is
    higher than good ones at any moment, relative to average
    deals.
    They're USED parts. Every part has a finite lifespan. The
    depreciation of it being "used" plus the reduction in
    lifespan, PLUS the technological depreciation, make any
    system over 3 years old, worth less than $300 unless you're
    talking about a server.

    Donate it to a charity and write it off... I wouldn't mess
    with the IRS though and suggest you value it reasonably.

    kony, Aug 24, 2005
  14. J

    philo Guest

    Sheesh!
    I've got a new (old stock)
    P-IV with 768 megs of RAM
    that I've been trying to sell locally for $200.
    No takers yet.
    I wish more people like you lived in my hometown

    philo, Aug 24, 2005
  15. J

    kony Guest

    Try advertising it on the local college campus bulletin
    boards and include phrases like "Negotiable" and "OBO".

    kony, Aug 24, 2005
  16. J

    philo Guest

    There are a number of places I've posted it here in town...
    There are a few local "for sale"groups and also "Craig's List"

    I manage to sell a P-III or AMD-1000 now and then for $75 - $100.
    I can get $50 for a P-II if I include a monitor.
    and I've given away 100's of p1's free!
    The people in this town really don't seem to part with their money too
    easily :)
    But it I don't sell the P-IV that's fine...as I always like to keep a few
    decent machines
    around here in case one of my friends has an emergency.

    philo, Aug 25, 2005
  17. J

    Norm Guest

    Max $300.00!!

    Norm, Sep 2, 2005
  18. J

    ~misfit~ Guest

    LOL. If I had a dollar for every time I used that approach....... Wait a
    minute! I do! Considerably more than a dollar for some of them.

    ;-)

    ~misfit~, Sep 2, 2005