How much is to much on NF7-S version 2.0 + 2500+ AMD barton

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Delfs, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Delfs

    Delfs Guest

    I have read alot that some chips (being the Barton 2500+ AMD) are not able
    to reach the following overclocking speeds. I am running right now the
    follow listing of settings. My question is what is a safe voltage for the
    CPU. I have read articles of "DO NOT GO OVER 1.8 volts". Right now below
    is what I am running...any and all opinions or suggestions I would
    appreciate on where or not this is safe to do.

    Thanks....and below are my settings:

    I am running a Barton 2500+ AMD overclocking with that best/latest bios from
    ABIT board of NF7-S verson 2.0. I also wanted to add that I just purchased
    a ThermalTake 480 watt Silent Purepower from NewEgg. I previous had a
    350watt Antec which could tell did not take the cake so to speak in
    supplying power...(go to this sight to see more on just how much power you
    need http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/).

    200X11 = 3200+ overclocked and this is with a Barton 2500+ AMD.
    Voltage is set at 1.85 volts.
    FSB/DRAM setting is AT SPD (registering at 400mhz)

    I thought that these settings would not be stable as I have read before that
    "some" chips such as the Barton 2500+ do not reach the 3200+ mark in
    overclocking. I though this as I was able to run stable at 191X11 at volts
    of 1.8v. I found out that above settings are able to run 3200+ overlcock
    settings, but at higher voltage and has yet to crash or freeze....is this
    "OK" or am I a bold daredevil of foolish nature with these settings...THANKS
    FOR THE INPUT.....

    Dean

    Delfs, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Delfs

    rms Guest

    CPU. I have read articles of "DO NOT GO OVER 1.8 volts".

    What a joke. I run my 1700+ at 1.9v @2.4ghz all the time. I have
    carefully monitored temps of both the power mosfets on the board as well as
    the cpu.

    This is quite a high Vcore for a minor overclock. Try this: raise the
    Vchipset to the maximum setting, put the memory timings on manual at
    whatever they are spec'd for, disable spreadspectrum and enable cpu
    disconnect and cpu interface, put Vcore back down to 1.65v and start raising
    it slowly. I.E., the impediment may not necessarily be the cpu at this
    point.

    rms

    rms, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Delfs

    - HAL9000 Guest

    I used to run my duron at 1.85 volts. After about 6 months at 1.85
    volts it's overclock ability reduced by about .5 %. There is an
    electronics term for what happens when running at excessive voltage.
    I think it is 'electron migration' but it's been awhile - maybe
    something else. If your willing to accept the degradation in long
    term performance, go for it...

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    - HAL9000, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Delfs

    Top-poster Guest

    Total joke.
    I run my 2800+ at 2.13v for 2.53 GHz on air.

    Top-poster, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Delfs

    Chip Guest

    Yes, but it makes your posts come out in the wrong place.

    Chip

    Chip, Feb 20, 2004
  6. Delfs

    Wblane Guest

    You're a bold daredevil alright. I run my Barton 2800+ at 2.1V Vcore. This is
    the required voltage for me to run at anything approaching 2300Mhz. I'm using a
    Thermalright SLK900U so I don't experience any overheating problems -- at least
    not during the winter. It'll be interesting to see if I can run my system this
    summer though.

    Wblane, Feb 22, 2004
  7. Delfs

    Wblane Guest

    I fried an old 1200 Tbird running at near this Vcore (maybe 2.15). This was on
    a NF7-S v2.0. But I had severe overheating problems.

    Wblane, Feb 22, 2004
  8. Delfs

    Wormwood Guest

    I'm running my Barton-core XP2500 at 10.5 X 211MHz FSB (2.2 GHz) with
    just the stock heatsink/fan w/ a cpu voltage of 1.725 volts, and it's
    very stable. Temperature never gets above 55 C at full load. Of
    course this is summer... come December, it may just be the winter of
    my discontent.

    -worm

    Wormwood, Feb 22, 2004
  9. Hi,

    the heat is the thing you should be worried about, not the vCore. I had a
    Barton running at 1.9vCore with no issues. Some people are able to
    overclock their XP2500+ Bartons to 2.2GHz using default voltages, but I
    guess I was unlucky in that respect and had to use 1.775vCore to make mine
    100% stable. No biggy really as long as you have nice cooling. . .

    It's not always vCore that stabilizes an overclock, sometimes you need to
    add more volts to the Northbridge or Memory. Try to keep below 60°C load
    and you will be fine. Most hardcore tweakers don't like load temps much over
    40°C :)

    Wayne Youngman, Feb 26, 2004