    would you need to add to see performance improve, or are there other
    areas where i can improve the performance of the cpu?

    Thanks in advance! :)

    Club_obi_wan, Aug 8, 2009

  2. *** Run a diagnostic on the laptop when you are doing typical tasks
    to see where CPU power is going.

    Perhaps there is a bottleneck in transferring from & to the hard drive.
    Try defragging. If you have directories with executables and lots of data
    files, store the data files in subdirectories. Then the operating system
    need not look through them every time.

    Removing unnecessary processes and programs may help. If you run an
    office program but only use the word processor, change the start-up
    procedure to prevent the other modules from loading. If you use six fonts
    but load 300, drop 294 of them. Improving the cache settings is another
    item to tweak.

    Before adding more RAM, identify the reasons for slowness first.
    --------

    Although focused on DOS users, see here for some
    more tips to speed any computer operations:

    http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/DOS-Tips.html

    Richard Bonner
    http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

    Richard Bonner, Aug 8, 2009

  3. What operating system (that is a critical question).

    With XP, going above 1GB won't do a lot for typical users (this is very
    much dependent on what you do with the system, but if you are running
    "Office" and browsing the 'net, 1GB is the "sweet spot"; that's not to
    say that more isn't better (or faster), but degree of additional
    performance is small unless you are using some real "memory hog"
    applications.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 8, 2009