    from corner to corner with paste, or do you put a small drop in the
    center of the cpu and squish the heatsink straight down on top of it?
    Or should I spread the thermal paste on the heatsink instead?

    GBHT77, Nov 30, 2003

  2. GBHT77

    Kyle Brant Guest

    I place a suitable amount in the center of the cpu and squish the
    heatsink straight down. You will need sufficient thermal paste so
    that the central square area within the indentation in the heat
    spreader gets covered when you do the squishing.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Dec 1, 2003

  3. GBHT77

    ?uzzled Guest

    Don't bother with it. The K6-2 runs cool without it. Got a K6-2 350 @ 450
    with your bog standard coolermaster HSF. Voltage is raised up to 2.7v and
    the HSF is still only mildly warm to the touch. Before that, had a K6-2+ 500
    @ 550 and the HSF was still only slightly warm. Both processors were very
    stable.

    ?uzzled, Dec 1, 2003
  4. GBHT77

    Kyle Brant Guest

    Do not take this advice, his HS is not hot or warm b/c he is not using
    any thermal paste and his CPU is running at a higher temp than it
    should. These chips can really put out some heat. This is some of
    the worst advice I've seen in a while.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Unless he means that the thermal interface material that comes preapplied
    with the Coolermaster HSF is good enough, which I believe it is. I don't
    think he means to run the CPU with a bare HSF. Or at least, I hope not.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Dec 2, 2003
  6. GBHT77

    ?uzzled Guest

    Haven't burnt a processor yet. ;-)

    ?uzzled, Dec 2, 2003
  7. GBHT77

    farmuse Guest

    two wrongs dont make a right

    farmuse, Dec 4, 2003
  8. Yea-- and the reason the heatsink was "only warm" was because it wasn't
    thermally coupling to the CPU.

    I'm an ancient fossil -- I still use "Wakefield (aka White Death) and
    Dow-Corning silicone grease most of the time; but I've been playing with the
    new heatsink goos as well.

    Don't laugh-- plain old Petroleum Jelly/ "Vaseline" is better than nothing in a
    pinch.

    R. Asby Dragon, Dec 19, 2003
  9. GBHT77

    Kyle Brant Guest

    | | > Don't bother with it. The K6-2 runs cool without it. Got a K6-2
    350 @ 450
    | > with your bog standard coolermaster HSF. Voltage is raised up to
    2.7v and
    | > the HSF is still only mildly warm to the touch. Before that, had a
    K6-2+ 500
    | > @ 550 and the HSF was still only slightly warm. Both processors
    were very
    | > stable.
    |
    | Yea-- and the reason the heatsink was "only warm" was because it
    wasn't
    | thermally coupling to the CPU.
    |
    | I'm an ancient fossil -- I still use "Wakefield (aka White Death)
    and
    | Dow-Corning silicone grease most of the time; but I've been
    playing with the
    | new heatsink goos as well.
    |
    | Don't laugh-- plain old Petroleum Jelly/ "Vaseline" is better than
    nothing in a
    | pinch.

    Petroleum Jelly will change viscosity with heat and "flow", not a good
    compound to use imho. I have read where several have used
    "anti-seize" compound as a substitute for thermal paste w/o any
    harmful effects, ymmv.

    Kyle Brant, Dec 20, 2003