How prevent a Thinkpad 390[X,E] from having inverter failure?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    having two TP 390 machines (a 390X and a 390E) in the family and
    planing to get a 3rd one within the next months I would very much
    like to know if there is _any_ way how we could protect them against
    suffering from LCD inverter failure.

    Any idea why these inverters seem to fail quite frequently?

    I know that these devices have a hard job since they transform
    low voltage into many Volts high voltage, but still I wonder why
    they break.

    Might it be a heat flow problem?  Could drilling little holes into
    the cover of the screen help perhaps?  We could remove the back cover
    of the LCD and drill some small ventilation holes into it...

    Or is this nonsense since heat is not the problem but something else?

    Any hints appreciated.

    TIA
    Karl-Heinz

    Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Jun 21, 2004