How to access a RAVEN or Chameleon POD (in Raven mode) ?

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Claudio, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. Claudio

    Claudio Guest

    Hi all,

    We have already developed a flash programmer using a
    wiggler compatible JTAG interface, directly manipulating
    the JTAG pins (TCK, TDI, TDO, TMS) through the parallel
    port.

    We would like to speed up the process using a Raven
    compatible interface (actually we have a Chameleon POD).
    We haven't found any documentation about the interface
    of this device with a parallel port.

    Perhaps Mr. Laurent Gauch from AMONTEC could send some
    information about it. I bet it will also interest other
    people in this group.

    Regards,
    Claudio L. S.

    Claudio, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Hi Claudio,

    Sorry, but we cannot give you any info on how the Raven interface is.
    Why, because we have to protect our design and our know-how. The Raven
    interface is a complexe state-machine (parallel-to-serial) with baudrate
    control, with auto-detection mechanism, with test mode, with some JTAG
    and EPP tips.

    Amontec is working on an new Chameleon POD version: xUSB POD version.
    We want to reuse the Raven know-how and to add USB messaging support
    (USB based on 8051). The goal is to provide an new JTAG solution close
    to the Abatron BDI, but cheaper and fully based on logic programmable
    (very generic).
    We are thinking to provide an open-source interface version of our xUSB
    POD version.

    But anyway, we cannot give you any info on the Raven interface. Sorry. I
    hope you will understand.

    Best Regards,
    Laurent Gauch

    Amontec Team, Laurent Gauch, Apr 21, 2004

  3. ....

    Are you interested by the Raven interface, or by speed-up your JTAG
    interface ?

    I can do a version a little bit more faster than the original RAVEN. But
    this new config will be *not* compatible with the original Raven Dongle.

    I will provide the interface specification for FREE. So you will be
    abble to speed-up your JTAG interface using our low cost Chameleon POD.

    So let me know if you (and other poeple on this group) are interested by
    a new 'go-faster' JTAG configuration.

    The deal : Amontec provides the hardware, and you provide the software !

    Laurent Gauch
    www.amontec.com

    Amontec Team, Laurent Gauch, Apr 21, 2004
  4. If you are interested, We can supply a USB - JTAG DONGLE for free. This
    is an open design with GPLed hardware and software. It supports JTAG
    clocks up to 48 MHz, 5V, 3.3V and 2.5V JTAG VIO. It uses a small FPGA
    for all logic other than USB interface, so is very flexible. The
    architecture supports efficient access to small sections of the JTAG scan
    chain (4096 bits max currently) so should be quite fast for generic
    flash programming tasks. The fpga config is downloaded via USB when the
    dongle starts up. There is a SVF player and a BIT player provided for
    configuration of Xilinx CPLDs and FPGAs. Any hardware or software help
    for more devices/platforms is welcome!

    Peter Wallace

    Peter C. Wallace, Apr 21, 2004
  5. Claudio

    Claudio Guest

    Yes, we are interested ! Is this product being sold anywhere ?
    We suspect that both the Raven and the Chameleon POD based their
    design on the TI SN74LVT8980A JTAG TAP MASTER WITH 8 BIT GENERIC
    HOST INTERFACE chip. It would not be too dificult to interface
    this chip (plus a clock generator) with an EPP or ECP compatible
    parallel port. We even found a VHDL model for this chip.
    But in the long run a USB interface is more flexible.
    Macraigor already launched a USB pod and as Mr. Laurent Gauch
    told us Amontec will also launch one.

    Best regards,
    Claudio L. S.

    Claudio, Apr 21, 2004
  6. Do you have an URL for this project ?

    Anton Erasmus

    Anton Erasmus, Apr 21, 2004
  7. Peter C. Wallace, Apr 22, 2004
  8. Claudio

    rickman Guest

    I guess I don't understand exactly what you are doing. Are you
    designing a USB JTAG unit so that you will release the design as
    open-source? The page you refer to has no data sheet or manual, only a
    link for the software and schematic. Are you selling these modules? Is
    the design finished yet?

    --

    Rick "rickman" Collins

    removed.

    4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice
    Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX

    rickman, Apr 24, 2004
  9. On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 03:15:51 -0700, rickman wrote:
    Yes, the design is done, the schematics and source code are available on
    our web site. We can supply the hardware ($99.00) assembled or bare cards
    for $2.00. The software (windows only at the moment) is usable but could be
    improved, ported and extended...

    Peter Wallace, May 6, 2004