    My old PC had a spare IDE connector and power block for a 2nd hard
    drive but on this machine I can't see where to start.

    Thanks

    darryl, Mar 17, 2009

  2. darryl

    S.Lewis Guest

    Just to confirm, he will need a right-angle connector SATA cable not unlike
    your XPS400/410's.

    S.Lewis, Mar 17, 2009

  3. Hi!
    There might also be a blue tray to put the drive in. I don't know the exact
    case type either, but I've noticed that the OptiPlex 210L and Dimension E521
    have extras for more drives.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Mar 18, 2009
  4. darryl

    darryl Guest

    Thanks to all for the advice. having looked in the case I think I need
    a SATA cable with one 90 degree endd and one straight end.

    darryl, Mar 18, 2009
  5. darryl

    S.Lewis Guest

    Thanks to all for the advice. having looked in the case I think I need
    a SATA cable with one 90 degree endd and one straight end.

    That's the right-angle cable you'll need, yes.

    S.Lewis, Mar 18, 2009
  6. darryl

    darryl Guest

    Cheers,

    I don't suppose anyone has fitted a 2nd drive and can let me know what
    length cable I need? Don't want it to be too short, nor do I want lots
    of spare slack

    Thanks

    darryl, Mar 18, 2009
  7. darryl

    S.Lewis Guest

    Cheers,

    I don't suppose anyone has fitted a 2nd drive and can let me know what
    length cable I need? Don't want it to be too short, nor do I want lots
    of spare slack

    Thanks

    I actually pulled the primary drive cable for some idea ( I measured it.)

    Unfortunately, I don't recall what the length is.

    Due to availability of what I could find online, I wound up with a cable
    that's a bit too long, but the excess was easily pull-tied and tucked away
    neatly.

    Check the length of the cable that's already in there. I believe you'll
    need one that is slightly longer.

    S.Lewis, Mar 18, 2009
  8. darryl

    darryl Guest

    Cheers to all. Went for a 1m cable, as I can always tie back any
    excess!

    darryl, Mar 18, 2009
  9. darryl

    darryl Guest

    One bios question...

    I had a look t my Bios settings today. There is an option to power up
    the 3rd and 4th SATA ports. Also ther seems to be a RAID option for
    some reason this is set to on on my system even though I specified a
    single drive. Do I need to chnage this?

    Thanks

    darryl, Mar 21, 2009
  10. darryl

    darryl Guest

    Just to post the settings I have looked at.

    For my SATA 0 drive. It says "BIOS: This drive is contrlooed by the
    RAID bios"
    Then lower down in SATA Operation There are two options "RAID
    Autodetect/ATA and RAID On"
    The RAID On is selected.
    Underneath it says "This field configures the operating mode of the
    integrated HDD controller, RAID Autodetect/ATA=RAID if signed drives
    otherwise ATA, RAID On=SATA is configured for RAID on every boot"
    The default is RAID On.

    My intention is to have 2 independent drives. The preinstalled C for
    Apps and OS and the new one just for storage.

    Do I need to change any of these settings?

    Thanks

    S.Lewis, Mar 21, 2009
  12. darryl

    darryl Guest

    Chhers, I was confused as I really do not want any kind of raid setup
    and these settings seemed to imply that that is what I would get.
    Thanks

    darryl, Mar 21, 2009
  13. darryl

    S.Lewis Guest

    Chhers, I was confused as I really do not want any kind of raid setup
    and these settings seemed to imply that that is what I would get.
    Thanks

    Simply note the SATA connector/controller # on the system board when you're
    plugging the cable, and enable that controller in BIOS.

    That's pretty much it.

    S.Lewis, Mar 21, 2009
  14. Hi!
    Unless you have devices attached to the third and fourth SATA ports,
    you don't want to enable them. Setting them to enabled with nothing
    plugged in will result in complaints from the power on self test.
    Changing it should not be required. When in RAID mode, I believe the
    system checks each drive to see if it belongs to a RAID array. If it
    does not, it is simply used as a normal drive.

    If you wanted to set up RAID arrays, you would use the Intel Matrix
    Storage utilities to configure them.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Mar 23, 2009