    that correct...
    Thanks in Advacne...

    ASB

    ASB, Dec 27, 2003

  2. ASB

    Joan Guest

    If the new one will be the additional hard drive, you will use the
    middle connector on the cable for the new drive. Drives now come setup
    as cable select. Do no change to new drive to slave. Make sure you go
    into the bios and turn the 2nd. hard drive to on or auto.

    You didn't indicate what Dell system you have.

    Joan

    Joan, Dec 27, 2003

  3. ASB

    tonys Guest

    You need an IDE cable with two headers on it. Yes... you can change the
    jumpers for one to be a master...and the other to be the slave or you can
    use the cable slect jumper on the hard drives...if you use this jumper
    setting the master HD must be on the end of the ide cable...and the slave
    will be on the middle header on the ide cable.

    I usually change jumpers....but remember you might have to change the jumper
    on the original hard drive also....

    tonys, Dec 27, 2003
  4. ASB

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    Joan,

    The model is in his subject line, so it's apparently a Dim4550. So the OP
    does have a two connector IDE1 cable, and he/she also has an extra pair of
    (green) quick-install drive rails inside the case.

    And I obviously agree with your remarks about jumpering cable select.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 27, 2003
  5. ASB

    Tom Scales Guest

    The 4550 definitely has enough spots on the cable for another drive. End
    connector = Master.

    Cable select ONLY. Not Master/Slave.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 27, 2003
  6. ASB

    PC-Gladiator Guest

    Did the new drive come with a new 80 wire, 40 conductor cable? If it did,
    you should use it otherwise your new drive will operate at sub-optimal
    levels if the old data cable is an older 40wire, 40 pin cable.

    PC-Gladiator, Dec 28, 2003
  7. ASB

    Tom Scales Guest

    A 4550 came standard with the appropriate cable. It's less than a year old.
    It also will run drives >127GB without problem too.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 28, 2003