    add a second har drive and if so how is it done? I've done this in
    desktops plenty, but am a newb when it comes to laptops.

    Dell's website is, of course, not very helpful.

    Abouna, Jul 10, 2006

  2. Generally, you can't add an additional hard drive internally. The
    exceptions to this are where the laptop has one or more "swappable bays"
    where you may be able to swap some combinations of {battery, hard drive,
    floppy drive, optical drive}. However this is fairly uncommon, although
    such laptops do exist (even so, you don't get something for nothing:
    There are at most 2 such bays, most commonly only one, and there are up
    to 4 possible devices that may go into them, depending on the model).

    However, you can certainly have additional external hard drives, most
    easily these days by using an external USB hard drive. External USB
    enclosures for 2.5" laptop drives are usually around $10, so it's not a
    cost issue. Just get a hard drive of whatever size you want, and a
    drive case, and you will be on your way.

    Externally.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 10, 2006

  3. Abouna

    Dave Guest

    The 6400/E1505 won't accomodate a 2nd internal drive.

    Dave

    Dave, Jul 10, 2006
  4. Abouna

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    I have used pcmia 10G hard disks in lap-
    tops for data logging,they were expensive,
    but worked nicely for removable storage.
    (And yes,pcmia has a different name now ;) ;) )

    Sjouke Burry, Jul 10, 2006
  5. Abouna

    Alan Eades Guest

    And the 6400 doesn`t have a PCMCIA/PCcard/Cardbus slot.
    It does have an ExpressCard slot which seems to be poorly supported yet.
    So, external USB drive is the way to go.

    Alan.

    Alan Eades, Jul 10, 2006
  6. Abouna

    Ron Krebs Guest

    Why not a flash drive? you can get them easily in USB 2.0 format and 4GB for
    only around $90. A lot easier to plugin and tote around and there might even
    be some 10GB on the horizon if not already. They can be formatted in NTFS
    and can be security locked. I have a Corsair Voyager that works great in my
    laptop.
    Ron

    Ron Krebs, Jul 10, 2006