How to automate: "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys"

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Unk, Sep 26, 2009.

  1. Unk

    Unk Guest

    MacBook Pro 10.6.1

    Need to automate switching on and off this setting:
    System Preferences
    Keyboard
    "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys"

    By "automate" I mean I'd like to assign a keyboard shortcut to it, ie:
    something like pressing ctrl+f will turn it on and ctrl+g turn it off, or
    similar.

    The reason for this is that I'm using Windows in a VM (VMware Fusion) and
    when inside Windows I need to use real function keys (no setting in Fusion
    will allow this, I need to manually edit the System Preferences like said
    above)

    What I tried:
    Using automator I selected "utilities" -> "watch me", but when replaying the
    actions it will select "Apple->Mac OS Software" instead of what I actually
    did "Apple -> System Preferences".

    Have you any suggestions?

    I'm thinking some applescript, or maybe some command line to put in a shell
    script to invoke through automator?

    Thanks

    Unk, Sep 26, 2009

  2. Unk

    JF Mezei Guest

    I have the "Use standard function keys" clicked at all times. Since I
    use X11 windows often, those keys are often needed for VT type
    applications so I need those to be passed transparently at all times.

    The few times I need to use the Apple-specific functions, I use FN-Fx
    key combination to get to it.

    JF Mezei, Sep 26, 2009

  3. Unk

    Unk Guest

    The problem is that the user (it's not for me personally) doesn't like using
    Fn+FX when using Mac OS (if I keeping that setting "on"), and doesn't like
    using Fn+FX when in Windows (if keeping that setting "off").

    So an easy way to quickly switch that setting on/off w/o having to go
    through the "System Preferences" would be ideal.

    Thanks

    Unk, Sep 26, 2009