How to back up a Thinkpad hard drive to external drive?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Jim, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    My Thinkpad arrived, and the 40 Gb drive has only 30 Gb useable, the
    rest apparently being devoted to a hidden partition used for system
    recovery. Is there any site out there which explains just how this
    partition is laid out, and how one would go about backing up the
    entire drive?

    Or, do you have to back up the hidden partition separately from the
    one labeled "IBM_PRELOAD (C:)"? Apparently there is 10 GB of reserved
    space on the drive.

    I was wondering how others handle their backups. I now use a large
    external firewire drive to back up all the other machines to separate
    partitions, so was wondering just how to back this one up.

    I haven't yet been able to find anything on the IBM site on just how
    this drive is laid out and how the hidden partition is handled.

    THanks for your help.

    Jim

    Jim, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Jim

    John Guest

    I was wondering how others handle their backups.

    A Disk-to-Disk backup will image all partitions.
    Check out this very helpful link:

    http://ghost.radified.com

    John

    John, Dec 31, 2003

  3. Jim :
    Try to search ibm.com for "hidden protected area". I like
    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/access_ibm_en/hpa_aibm.pdf.

    Michael Giegerich, Dec 31, 2003
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Very informative Michael. It appears from that article that if you
    temporarily remove the sercurity from the HPA in the BIOS, it will
    allow you to image the Hidden Protected Area. I had tried to image
    the drive with Acronis True Image, and the HPA showed up as a block of
    data at beginning of drive labeled "1", but you could not access it,
    whereas the C:\IBM_Preload could be backed up.

    The Rapid Restore appears to be an easy, safe system but it would use
    minimum of 28 percent of the hard drive just to do a backup, so was
    looking for alternative way to do the job.

    Thank you for the link.

    Jim, Jan 1, 2004
  5. Jim

    John Guest

    Jim,

    FYI, the Backup Utility in Windows XP offers ASR (Automatic System Recovery)
    Wizard which is worth considering. It creates a boot floppy and stores and
    image of any partition onto another partition.

    John

    John, Jan 1, 2004
  6. Jim

    Ken Spencer Guest

    I had a serious problem with a virus On my Thinkpad T-40 and I
    *thought* I was unable to run the restore from the "hidden" backup. (I
    actually did get it to run...) It is really annoying that they save a
    ton of money by not including restore CD's.

    Anyhow, I called IBM Tech support and they sent me the set of restore
    CD's. I think they would do that for you if you asked.

    Then perhaps you could reformat the whole drive, and do the reinstall
    from the CD's.

    For what it's worth...

    ken

    Ken Spencer, Aug 16, 2004