    floating around your desktop
    but if there is no on/off button and no case
    how can i run a computer

    PcGAmeR22, Jan 27, 2012

  2. PcGAmeR22

    rb Guest

    Aside from electrical safety issues, the case also helps regulat
    airflow over components, and prevents objects(spilled drink, pape
    clips, etc) from causing damage to the components.

    As for starting the pc, the ATX power switch is a 'momentary' actio
    switch. When you press the switch, it simply shorts the power pins o
    the motherboard header for an instant, then releases.
    To start the pc without the ATX switch, all you need to do is touch th
    power pins on the motherboard header for an instant with a smal
    screwdriver, which does the same as pressing the powe
    button...momentarily shorting the pins. :)

    That said, if your going to run the pc without the case, a few tips:
    place the components on a piece of cardboard;
    leave the plastic motherboard stand-offs on the motherboard which wil
    help prevent it from grounding and allow clearance for expansion car
    brackets(they extend below motherboard at edge);
    position the pc fans(or other fan) to blow across motherboard especiall
    to keep the chipset and memory cool;
    keep food and drink and other objects away from the exposed components!

    Any for safety sake, unplug the PSU when not using the 'exposed' system
    especially if theres young children in the household!!! :eek

    rb, Jan 27, 2012

  3. PcGAmeR22

    rb Guest

    The other jumper is for resetting the BIOS password. I'm not aware o
    that jumper affecting power up.. :confused

    rb, Jan 27, 2012
  4. PcGAmeR22

    PcGAmeR22 Guest

    hah im telling ya
    i reset it and when i plug the psu to the wall the pc boots by its sel

    PcGAmeR22, Jan 27, 2012
  5. PcGAmeR22

    Paul Guest

    And when you enter the BIOS and check the settings, is there
    are a setting for what to do after power recovery ?

    The setting could be called "Restore on AC Power Loss" and
    the default value is [Power Off].

    The other values are [Power On] and [Previous State]. Choosing
    the [Power On] setting, could result in your symptoms. Change
    to [Power Off], Save and Exit. And then later, retest it.

    Not all BIOS will have that setting, but it's one to check.

    The power path works like this:

    Momentary -------- motherboard logic ---- PS_ON# --- ATX
    Switch converts pulse to Signal Supply
    (Pulse Low) steady level

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 28, 2012
  6. PcGAmeR22

    ambitw

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    I've done it a few times, you just need a switch for the power switch.

    That's PW for the most recent mobo I was playing with.

    ambitw, Aug 3, 2012