How to change CMOS settings - new video card

Discussion in 'Dell' started by KF Daddy, Apr 27, 2006.

  1. KF Daddy

    KF Daddy Guest

    I upgraded the 128MB video that came with my 8300 to a Stealth S120 256MB
    Radeon 9550 card.

    The instructions say to "Enter the CMOS" and check certain items. Stuff I
    don't know anything about such as "palette snoop" "Shadow video BIOS/ROM",
    etc

    Using the F2 or F12 keys on boot-up, I'm not able to find where I could
    check any of this stuff. A search on the Dell forum didn't turn up anything
    useful either.

    So my question is - How do I get into the CMOS? Is it even necessary or will
    things like the "AGP aperture" automatically be detected and set correctly
    for me?

    TIA

    Joe

    KF Daddy, Apr 27, 2006

  2. KF Daddy

    Tom Scales Guest

    Personally, I would just ignore it. That said, both AGP Aperture and
    Palette snoop SHOULD be in your BIOS.

    I've changed many cards and never changed the BIOS.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 27, 2006

  3. KF Daddy

    S.Lewis Guest

    You can F2 into the 8300 BIOS, but you shouldn't have to change any settings
    there for the new card. Any changes are automatic.

    Windows is another matter. Or not.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 27, 2006
  4. KF Daddy

    KF Daddy Guest

    thanks both for the info. Everything seems to be OK without any intervention
    on my part

    :
    : : >I upgraded the 128MB video that came with my 8300 to a Stealth S120 256MB
    : > Radeon 9550 card.
    : >

    KF Daddy, Apr 28, 2006