    USB always active

    but also with this, no charging in Suspend mode

    Any idea how to charge in Suspend mode?

    Roland Mösl, Oct 2, 2008

  2. Roland Mösl

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Roland Mösl) wrote in $:
    If it's a Motorola phone, I don't think it can be done.

    The charging is done thorough a cooperative effort between the phone
    and required drivers installed on your PC. If the OS isn't running, the
    driver can't do whatever tricks are involved to convince the phone to
    go into charge mode.

    The real Motorola phone chargers have jumpers and/or resistors across
    some of the USB connector pins that put the phone into charge mode; if
    you're motivated, maybe you could cobble up an equivalent cable that
    might work with your laptop's USB port (or it might cause your laptop
    to burst into flames). Here's a guy who's reverse engineered the
    charging cable for a Motorola V3:

    http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N/razrv3_charger_pinout.shtml

    Bert Hyman, Oct 2, 2008

  3. Roland Mösl

    BillW50 Guest

    In Bert Hyman typed on 02 Oct 2008 14:33:54 GMT:
    Another thing to consider is some laptops supply power to the USB when in
    suspend, hibernate, and off. While others do not. These EEE will if plugged
    into the AC, won't on battery. My Gateways only supply power when powered
    up. I believe some of these maybe changed in the device manager.

    BillW50, Oct 2, 2008
  4. Roland Mösl

    Roland Mösl Guest

    Sony Erricson W910i

    Roland Mösl, Oct 2, 2008
  5. Roland Mösl

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    You can't. In suspend mode all power is cut off except for a small supply
    that powers the power on circuit and the memory.

    M.I.5¾, Oct 3, 2008
  6. Roland Mösl

    BigBen Guest

    My Lenovo T500 has a bios setting that allows constant power the usb.

    BigBen, Oct 3, 2008
  7. Roland Mösl

    BillW50 Guest

    In BigBen typed on Fri, 03 Oct 2008 19:31:47 GMT:
    Is that only on AC, or on battery too? My Asus EEE laptops only supply USB
    power all of the time if only on AC. On battery, only if the laptop is on.

    BillW50, Oct 4, 2008
  8. Roland Mösl

    BillW50 Guest

    In M.I.5¾ typed on Fri, 3 Oct 2008 07:53:46 +0100:
    Not true of some laptops like this one. As on AC, USB always has power
    whether the laptop is on or off.

    BillW50, Oct 4, 2008
  9. Roland Mösl

    BigBen Guest

    It is only when on ac power. It would be nice if it was in battery mode
    also, but I can see the problems that could cause too.

    BigBen, Oct 5, 2008
  10. Roland Mösl

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    I'll take your word for it, but it is the exception rather than the rule. I
    should point out that such behaviour is a violation of the USB
    specifications.

    M.I.5¾, Oct 6, 2008
  11. Roland Mösl

    BillW50 Guest

    In M.I.5¾ typed on Mon, 6 Oct 2008 08:07:06 +0100:
    Maybe so, but it does come in handy from time to time. ;-)

    BillW50, Oct 6, 2008