    with Powerbook configuration and appreciate step by step help on how
    to configure Powerbook to use the wireless router for internet access.

    B.Rgds/KL

    KL Wong, Jun 21, 2004

  2. KL Wong

    stan Guest

    Wireless is wireless is wireless. Check the manual for the wireless
    workstation. It should have the details in there. It should not be
    any different than an airport base station.

    stan, Jun 21, 2004

  3. KL Wong

    Bob Harris Guest

    First of all, you should be able to use the Help menu to ask the
    question "airport setup" and that should give you information.

    But the short answer is to open Applications -> "Internet Connect"

    Choose your network from the "Network:" button. If your network does
    advertise its SSID, then choose "Other..." and enter your networks SSID
    name.

    Once you have selected your network, "Internet Connect" should present
    you with a list of password options. Select the one that applies to
    your network and enter the information.

    NOTE: A lot of times 3rd party WiFi base stations do not encode text
    based passwords using the same algorithm to convert from text to a hex
    encryption key, so it may be necessary to select the hexidecimal key
    option for entering the information.

    One more thing. You said 802.11x. If you mean the 'x' to represent a,
    b, or g, then Macs can support 802.11b and some models also support
    802.11b or 802.11g (called Airport Extreme). 802.11a is not a typical
    Apple option.

    _HOWEVER_, if you really meant 802.1x (note single 1 followed by x),
    Then you want to use the Help menu to asks for help on "802.1x". It is
    similar to the above using "Internet Connect" but slightly different.
    Also 802.1x is fairly new, so not all vendors may have gotten the
    implementation details down exactly right. I do not use 802.1x, so I'm
    just speculating. Your actual mileage may vary.

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Jun 21, 2004