How to copy/transfer MBR and Hidden Partition "ibm Access" to new HD

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by science2003, Apr 29, 2007.

  1. science2003

    science2003 Guest

    Hi there,
    thanks to look at my case:
    Lenovo Thinkpad X40 (no longer under warranty, apparently because the
    dealer bankarupt!) had problems with the 1.8" Hitachi HD: bad sectors.
    And did no longer boot WinXP.

    I bought another HD. I was able to clone the hidden partition to an
    USB Drive. But now I face two problems.
    1. I need to copy it back in the new HD: What format does it uses, and
    should I copy it as a hidden partition or not? Is there a chance to
    make from that USB partition the Recovery CDs without copy it back to
    the new HD? How?
    2. In any case if I want now to make the PC bootable with "ibm
    access" botton, I understood that the MBR should be the original one.
    How can I copy and transfer from the old HD to the new 1.8" one the
    MBR as well. Is there a quick utility that I can use under a bootable
    CD of WinXP that I am using to access the PC when there is the broken
    HD installed?
    Many thanks for your help.
    Anthony

    science2003, Apr 29, 2007

  2. science2003

    News Guest

    Acronis 8.0 or better.

    News, Apr 29, 2007

  3. science2003

    science2003 Guest

    Acronis 8.0 or better.- Hide quoted text -

    Thank you for your answer. I do have it. But the software does ask the
    questions (copy partition Hidden/notHidden? Format?), it does not give
    me the answers.
    I did not mention: I cannot clone the bad disk with Ghost or Acronis:
    there are too many bad sectors in the main partition. I could clone
    bit-to-bit the IBM access partition. But now I am stucked to the above
    questions. Thank you

    science2003, Apr 29, 2007
  4. science2003

    News Guest

    IBM_PRELOAD (C:) NTFS
    IBM_SERVICE (D:) FAT32

    A proper service partition works whether hidden or not.

    Your choice as to how to proceed.

    News, Apr 29, 2007
  5. science2003

    science2003 Guest

    Many thanks, what will be helpful is to find someone with the right
    tip to change (trough a copy or whatever) the MBR of the new HD, so as
    to make working "IBM Access" botton.

    science2003, Apr 30, 2007
  6. science2003

    Phil Sherman Guest

    You can get a MBR repair diskette from Lenovo's website. If you don't
    have a diskette drive, you can convert it to a bootable CD to reinstall
    the MBR.

    Phil Sherman

    the new HD? How?

    Phil Sherman, May 1, 2007
  7. science2003

    science2003 Guest

    Many thanks I shall look at it. ThinkPad x40, does not have the floppy
    in fact.

    I hope to find the right web-address.

    science2003, May 2, 2007
  8. science2003

    John Doue Guest

    I am under the impression that this MBR repair diskette will not do more
    than Fdisk /mbr would and I very much doubt it will restore your MBR the
    way you expect. Hopefully, you will prove me wrong, it has been quite
    some time since I looked into this.

    John Doue, May 2, 2007