    on how to accomplish this?

    Thanks for any tips,

    RBollinger

    robboll, Sep 6, 2005

  2. robboll

    Jerry Park Guest

    The documentation for the Inspiron 1000 states that you should be able
    to disable the touch pad:

    Customizing the Touch Pad
    You can use the Mouse Properties window to disable the touch pad or
    adjust its settings.
    1 Open the Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then
    click Mouse.
    2 In the Mouse Properties window:
    • Click the Device Select tab to disable the touch pad.
    • Click the Pointer tab to adjust touch pad settings.
    3 Click OK to save the settings and close the window.

    Jerry Park, Sep 6, 2005

  3. Hi Robbol,

    You can go to Control Panel, system, Hardware, device manager, mice &
    other pointing devices, right click on touchpa & disable it.
    When you need it, go to the same place & right click & say Enable.

    Regards
    Adarsh

    adarsh.doyizode, Sep 6, 2005
  4. robboll

    robboll Guest

    When I right-click the mouse there is no option to disable -- only to
    uninstall. I know what you are saying because the other devices have
    the "disable" option. Possibly because the touch-pad is built in, that
    option isn't available?

    RBollinger

    robboll, Sep 7, 2005
  5. robboll

    robboll Guest

    I follow you until I get to step #2. I cannot find a "Device Select"
    tab. The only tabs I have are: TouchPad, Gestures, Area Switch,
    Others, Buttons, Pointers, Pointer Options, Orientation, and Hardware.

    I would think that selecting Hardware would provide the 'disable'
    option but it doesn't.

    robboll, Sep 7, 2005
  6. robboll

    robboll Guest

    Let me clarify: When I right-click on 'Alps Touch Pad' there is no
    option to disable -- only to uninstall.

    robboll, Sep 7, 2005
  7. robboll

    Kevin Rengo Guest

    Astonishing my Dell says the same.
    Are u practical? Look for a small clear plastic and cut it to the right form
    it should fit exactly in and if flat enough not stick out. If clear it even
    doesn't look much bad...
    AND you can under options say after which period of time the touchpad should
    be active if you write something and you can lower the sensibility.

    just my 2$

    Kevin Rengo, Sep 7, 2005
  8. robboll

    robboll Guest

    I appreciate your work-around but I shouldn't have to resort to putting
    a buffer over the touchpad to disable it. Still hunting for a
    solution.

    robboll, Sep 10, 2005
  9. robboll

    Kevin Rengo Guest

    Okay maybe a bit silly of me.

    But have you tried the driver options for:
    Try version 5.4 Dell uses the Alps Touchpads. I think it doesn't matters
    which Inspirons/ Latitudes Driver you try. They should be all the same..

    Kevin Rengo, Sep 10, 2005
  10. Are you sure? My Latitude D600 has the option of disabling it i you
    are using an external (serial or PS2) mouse, shouldn't the Inspirons
    have the same option?

    You could always try installing the latest ALPS driver and see what
    happens....

    William P. N. Smith, Sep 11, 2005