How to distinguish a SunBlade 1000 from a SunBlade 2000?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by David Gerard, Jul 19, 2004.

  1. David Gerard

    David Gerard Guest

    How do you tell the difference between sb1k and the sb2k remotely,
    *reliably*? I'm not free to pop over to the Netherlands today and look
    at the machines themselves to tell what they are ...

    (I know the sb2k name only exists because the sb1k was such a lemon
    that the name itself was a curse. [I certainly curse it.] So I'm not
    surprised the machines don't seem to know what they're called.)

    Grovelling through prtconf -v from a sb1k and a sb2k, I can see
    differences in the CPU (the sb1k comes with 600/750/900 MHz USIII, the
    sb2k with 900 and up USIII+) and the hard disk (the sb1k comes with
    up to 36 gig, the sb2k with 72 gig and up). But those are of course
    only the defaults - a machine could easily have had either replaced,
    particularly the CPU (we care more about CPU speed than local hard
    disk size).

    Is there a reliable way to tell the difference without physical
    inspection, or is it down to detective work?

    - d.

    David Gerard, Jul 19, 2004

  2. David Gerard

    Andrew Tyson Guest

    (I know the sb2k name only exists because the sb1k was such a lemon
    I am interested to hear you say that the SB1K was a lemon? Can you please
    expand upon this? Are there reliability issues? I was recently considering
    purchasing one 2nd hand for home.
    I actually posted to this NG a couple of weeks ago trying to source
    opinions. AFAIK the SB1K is as good
    as a SB2K because the USIIICu CPUs > 900MHz will work in the SB1K (even
    though it's not supported by Sun).

    Regards
    AT

    Andrew Tyson, Jul 20, 2004

  3. David Gerard

    Chris Morgan Guest

    "Lemon" is a bit harsh, but SB1000 was expected to be a knockout for
    Sun since UltraSPARC-III was going to launch at a very high clock rate
    (600Mhz!!) and had all of these high-end professional features (ECC,
    more context switching support etc etc), not to mention cross-bar
    switch like memory subsystem, FCAL disks.

    Unfortunately the chip was late, so late in fact that the 600mhz
    machines had to be pushed out the back door in the middle of the night
    and flogged off on ebay (I am exaggerating for effect :) and the web
    store launch was for the 750mhz item.

    I had my company buy me an SB1000 pretty soon after it launched and it
    has provided many years of sterling service, but it's never had the
    performance edge I had hoped for, and for a giant 80lbs hulking
    carcass of a workstation that cost $10k, shipping with a single 18k
    disk is pretty lame (and you can only add one more).

    Of course, for a home machine, it's still pretty nice (I am tempted
    every single time one comes up on ebay :)

    Chris
    --
    Chris Morgan
    "Post posting of policy changes by the boss will result in

    - anonymous correspondent

    Chris Morgan, Jul 26, 2004