    described in Microsofts KB. Still greyed out. What am I missing
    please?

    Ray

    Ray Copper, Nov 24, 2004

  2. What sort of USB device do you want to use?
    Are you using S1 or S3 standby mode? Even in S3 mode with the power on
    resume jumpers enabled it should work, so one tends to wonder whether the
    device you're using supports this functionality.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 24, 2004

  3. Ray Copper

    Ray Copper Guest

    I want to use the XP MCE remote to wake the computer.
    Have read others have done this so guess it has the functionality
    I'm using S3. It goes into standby, and records TV while in standby,
    just won't wake again. In device manager, the option "Allow this
    device to bring computer out of standby" are all greyed

    Regards,

    Ray

    Ray Copper, Nov 24, 2004
  4. Ray Copper

    Moonshine Guest

    Hello Ray,

    I just got an IS7 for use with MCE2005 and had exactly the same issue
    :)

    I did all the things you did, but forgot one thing in the BIOS I'd
    left the wakeup option still set to Power Button only. Soon as I
    changed it to "Any Key" voila, it worked waking up using the remote.

    The Wake up options are still greyed out but it doesn't make any
    difference it still works.

    HTH

    Cliff

    Moonshine, Nov 24, 2004
  5. Ray Copper

    Ray Copper Guest

    Cliff, you're a genius :) Works like a charm. Only wish I'd asked you
    3 weeks ago :)

    Thanks,

    Ray

    Ray Copper, Nov 25, 2004
  6. Ray Copper

    Moonshine Guest

    Ray gald you are sorted and if it is any consolation I wouldn't have
    known 3 weeks ago, I only got my board 2 days ago :)

    I did go though similar issues with the Asus Pundi-R that I built
    another HTPC around.

    Thank heavens for newsgroups & forums, that's what I say.

    I know if I'm having a problem someone else will have had the same
    issue before (and hopefully fixed it).

    Cliff

    Moonshine, Nov 25, 2004
  7. Ray Copper

    Ray Copper Guest

    Quite agree. All I want to do now is setup my hard drives to run off
    the Intel SATA chip. Tried various ways but no success. Don't want a
    RAID, but read elsewhere that running off chip frees up PBI bus, thus
    more efficient? I have two Seagate Barracuda 160Gb & 200Gb SATA
    drives. Know anything about that? :)

    Regards,

    Ray

    Ray Copper, Nov 25, 2004
  8. Ray Copper

    Ray Copper Guest

    PCI bus even :)

    Ray Copper, Nov 25, 2004
  9. Ray Copper

    Moonshine Guest

    I'm using a single Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 NCQ 160GB SATA 8MB Cache

    Just plugged it in and working, no special drivers or BIOS set-up,
    just works.

    Only other device connected (via IDE) is an NEC 3500A DVD Writer

    Are they just not being detected?

    Moonshine, Nov 25, 2004
  10. "Ray Copper" wrote in message...
    It's difficult to understand how this could be screwed up. Assuming you've
    already installed WinXP and want to transfer the installation over to the
    Intel controller, it's simply a case of enabling the controller in RAID mode
    (and enabling the SATA ROM), installing the drivers, shutting down and
    plugging the drives into SATA1 and SATA2.
    Correct. Note though that you have to enable RAID mode to enable the PCI
    bypass function. If you don't want to array your drives, you don't have to.

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 25, 2004
  11. Cliff, "special" drivers and BIOS setup *are* necessary if you want to get
    the best performance from this controller.

    If you don't enable RAID mode in the BIOS (and install the 82801ER drivers),
    you won't be getting the PCI bypass functionality that Ray was previously
    talking about.

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 25, 2004
  12. Ray Copper

    Ray Copper Guest

    Hi Richard<

    Drives are already connected to SATA1 & 2. XP MCE 2005 is installed.
    Could you give me a "dummies" step by step setup to get the PCI bypass

    The one time I did appear to get close, I got 'array doesn't exist'
    (or similar) message on boot, and my graphics card complained of being
    unable to get resources, and worked in 4 colours! :)

    Regards,

    Ray

    Ray Copper, Nov 25, 2004
  13. Ray Copper

    Moonshine Guest

    OK Thanks Richard, I'm keen to learn here too.

    Just to clarify I have the IS7 not the IC7 is this still relevant for
    this board? Is it true for all SATA setups? I'm using SATA on my Asus
    Pundit-R so want to know if I need to do extra configuration / driver
    instalation on that too.

    Cliff

    Moonshine, Nov 25, 2004
  14. Ray Copper

    TomG Guest

    you can get that SATA channel working with no problem. however, if the OS
    is on one of the drives you will have an issue. to get the drives working
    on the SATA controller, you would need two serillel-2 adapters, assuming the
    drives are PATA drives. beyond that, it is a simple matter of going to the
    Onchip Devices menu in the bios and enabling the raid mode on the SATA,
    regardless of whether you have the raid bios enabled. in fact, leaving the
    raid bios disabled will make the boot slightly quicker in that there will be
    no delay for the Intel SATA bios screen at boot time.

    you enable raid mode, regardless of the fact that you are not going to use a
    raid array. from there, you would be prompted to load a driver for the raid
    controller and all will be well. this is where the issue with the OS being
    mounted onto one of the drives you are trying to add to the SATA channel
    comes in... if you have the OS on one of those drives, and then enable the
    raid mode, the controller no longer appears as an IDE controller to the OS
    and it will not be able to load. you can't get a driver into the OS until
    the controller is enabled for raid mode and you can't boot once it is in
    raid mode... catch 22. the only work around is to do a repair install or an
    "in place upgrade" of the OS and enable the raid mode, then hit F6 to signal
    that you want to load SCSI or raid controller drivers.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Nov 26, 2004
  15. Ray Copper

    TomG Guest

    no drivers needed if the SATA controller is in IDE mode... however, in that
    mode, the data is still running on the PCI bus.

    TomG, Nov 26, 2004
  16. Ray Copper

    TomG Guest

    still relevant as it has the same SATA controller on it as the IC7...

    TomG, Nov 26, 2004
  17. Ray Copper

    TomG Guest

    this is the issue I mention in my earlier post... if the drives are already
    on the SATA controller, you only have a couple of choices. if the drives
    are PATA drives on Serillel-2 converters, you can move them off the SATA
    channel long enough to enable the raid mode and load drivers, then move the
    drives back to the SATA channel.

    however, if the drives are true SATA drives, then you have an issue in that
    you cannot enable the SATA raid mode and get drivers loaded because the OS
    won't boot without drivers... to my knowledge, and Richard will correct
    this in a heartbeat if I am wrong, you could only get the drivers loaded by
    doing a repair install or an "in place upgrade".

    TomG, Nov 26, 2004
  18. Ray Copper

    Ray Copper Guest

    Would I be able to take a Norton Ghost image of my OS drive, set RAID
    mode on the SATA, then boot from the ghost disk (which gives option to
    load 3rd party drivers), and then recover the image? Would that work,
    or is a clean install the better way to go? What about boot priority
    settings etc in BIOS, what do I need to change there?

    Regards,

    Ray

    Ray Copper, Nov 26, 2004
  19. That wouldn't help you at all. You'd be back to the same situation where
    you'd copy the image to your hard disk, but you wouldn't be able to boot it
    because the RAID drivers would't be installed.
    Clean install is the most "straightforward" option, but you will probably
    get away with a partial reinstallation. Boot from the XP install CD, hit F6
    to install the RAID drivers, then you'll be able to "repair" the OS.
    Make sure that the "Bootable Add-In Device" is set to Onchip SATA RAID, and,
    if you have any parallel ATA drives connected to IDE1 or IDE2, that the
    BA-ID is at the top of the Boot Device Priority list.

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 26, 2004
  20. Ray Copper

    Moonshine Guest

    What sort of a measurable improvement to performance are we likely to
    see by doing this?

    Cliff

    Moonshine, Nov 26, 2004