How to fdisk, format HD on a E3400?

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by zeke, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. zeke

    zeke

    Recently bought a E3400 PIII 1G computer and trying to install Windows2000. Hard drive is blank.
    Downloaded Win98 bootdisk from my other computer. This boot disk is good, works on my other computers but not the E3400.

    When the bios loads, hit F1 to enter bios settings:
    -Checked the floppy drive, write protect disabled.
    -Changed the floppy to boot first, but this did not help.

    -Swapped floppy drives from other computers- no luck, same problem.
    -Swapped floppy drive and floppy cable from E3400 to other computers to check if the floppy drive or cable was defective. Floppy from E3400 works on the other computers as well as the boot disk.

    -Took cmos battery out for 15 minutes - no luck.
    -Took battery out for 3 hours - no luck.

    At bottom of Gateway Splash page is:
    63-0100-006201-00101111-101100-solano-oaaveP02-y2k-5

    Computer is a Gateway mini desktop co2 E3400
    Motherboard is A03
    Bios oaavep02

    This E3400 boots but will not read boot disk from floppy.
    It shows to hit F1 to enter bios, then goes about testing/finding memory, primary drive, secondary drive, etc. . The floppy attempts to read boot disk (floppy light comes on) but ends with a flashing cursor at upper left end of screen without reading the boot disk.

    Any help will be appreciated. thanks.

    zeke, Sep 18, 2006
  2. zeke

    zeke