How to get a dell inspiron 2600 recovery disk for windows XP home SP1

Discussion in 'Dell' started by noggo, Nov 21, 2007.

  1. noggo

    noggo Guest

    Hi,

    I've lost my recovery CD for a dell inspiron 2600 which is running XP home SP1.
    Dell can't supply me with a copy. So my question is, have any of you used the
    web site companies selling recovery disks and are they any good?

    a couple i've come across are:-
    http://www.user-guides.co.uk/asp/pr...on,Recovery,CD&recor=1&SearchFor=any&PT_ID=92

    http://www.gennersales.co.uk/recove..._Inspiron_Windows_XP_Home_Edition_Restore_CDs

    TIA

    noggo, Nov 21, 2007

  2. buy a dell branded windows xp home 'recovery cd' on ebay. this is the full
    operating system on a cd.
    the things that you provided links to appear to be utility disks and not
    full copies of windows. they appear to be deliberate in confusing you on
    what you are purchasing.
    alternatively, you can just describe the problem that you are having and
    perhaps we can tell you the solution, which might not require a cd at all.
    also, if you have another dell that has windows xp, or know of someone who
    does, you can use that disk, or make a backup copy of it for your records.
    the certificate of authenticity (coa) that is attached to your machine
    proves that your installation is not some pirated (stolen) copy. good luck.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 22, 2007

  3. noggo

    Tom Scales Guest

    Just buy one off ebay. Get the XP Home SP2 disk. They're all the same,
    so it doesn't matter what computer it came from. It will install
    without needing activation on your 2600.

    Works fine.

    By the way, it is NOT a recovery CD. It is a true XP cd, so it won't
    install any applications or drivers.

    Tom Scales, Nov 27, 2007