How to get Battery MaxiMiser running on older (pre-A/T/X) ThinkPad systems

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by monty cantsin, Jul 31, 2004.

  1. On older ThinkPad systems like the 570, 600 or 770 series, installing
    the recommended "Battery MaxiMiser and Power Management features"
    software package

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-44226

    from IBM will only add some rather superfluous power management
    properties, but not the Battery MaxiMiser itself. Also, when trying to
    activate this application manually by starting it with the command

    rundll32 pwrmonit.dll,StartPwrMonitor

    a nice battery gauge will indeed appear on the taskbar, but
    unfortunately the display will not change and thus it won't show the
    actual battery level, only the charge status at the time the
    application has been started.

    If you can live without the aforementioned power management property
    pages (the settings they refer to can still be altered in the BIOS
    setup), you might want to take a look at another revision of the
    "Battery MaxiMiser and Power Management features" package tailored to
    a different range of systems, as can be found here:

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-44224

    This software (although not officially released for these systems)
    will install fine on some older, pre-A/T/X ThinkPad systems and will
    provide them with a functioning Battery MaxiMiser application and
    battery gauge in the taskbar, just as it is common with the newer
    systems. It lacks the function to read out extended battery
    information, as this is not wholly supported on the older machines,
    but I don't regard that as a major drawback.

    Best regards,
    Monty

    monty cantsin, Jul 31, 2004

  2. monty cantsin

    obs Guest

    Is there really a need for MaxiMiser on
    non-speedstep notebooks? Windows battery gauge
    gets the job done as well as the Power Schemes
    tab in Control Panel's Power Management. You
    don't get the "one click" access to change
    preset power configurations though.

    obs, Aug 1, 2004

  3. C'mon, don't spoil the fun! Playa hata? ;)

    It displays the battery status a lot more precisely than the tiny
    standard gauge in Windows. At one glance, you're perfectly informed
    about what's going on with your battery.

    And, btw, there _are_ quite a few people out there (me included) who
    wanted to have exactly this green battery gauge on the taskbar, just
    look here:

    http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=1799

    I thought that maybe some would find that information useful and
    that's why I was sharing it. Until now it's always been said, naw, the
    Battery MaxiMiser won't work here.

    One final note: Don't forget that the ThinkPad 600X 650Mhz+ machines
    are in fact speedstep-notebooks, but normally don't support the
    Battery MaxiMiser either. With my solution, they will.

    monty cantsin, Aug 1, 2004