How to get data off dead Toshiba HD?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Clueless in Seattle, Aug 1, 2008.

  1. Some of you may remember me as the old guy who was seeking a
    replacement for a couple of dead Toshiba Satellite 1910CS laptops.

    Well, a week or two ago I received a Toshiba Satellite 2545 XCDT via
    FreeCycle Seattle and have now got DOS 6.21 running on it. (It takes
    me a long time to get things done because I've been slowed down in my
    senior years by multiple chronic health problems that require lots of
    bedrest and naps).

    So, now, I'm ready to tackle the problem of how to get all my software
    onto the new machine.

    I was pretty consistent in making back-ups of all the configuration
    files for my old software, and I still have all the software and
    config files on floppies. But I'm not looking forward to the tedious
    task of having to reinstall each of my programs one by one.

    I'm wondering if there's a way I could copy the entire C: drive
    directory tree from my old hard drive onto the new machine.

    I figure that would mean pulling the HD from the old machine and then
    somehow hooking it up to the new machine as a second drive.

    One idea I came up with would be to try to find another old Toshiba,
    swap out it's HD for my old HD and then network the two computers
    together. Would that work? How compatible are the HDs from different
    generations of Toshiba laptops. (I do have another Toshiba laptop
    that I also got from FreeCycleSeattle, but it is so contaminated by
    cigarette smoke that I can't have it in the house However, for a one-
    time data transfer, I could hook both computers up out on the sun
    deck).

    Or, is it possible that there exists a stand alone case that I could
    install the old HD into and then network it to my "new" Toshiba?

    Will in Seattle
    a.k.a. "Clueless"

    Clueless in Seattle, Aug 1, 2008

  2. Clueless in Seattle

    Brian Troisi Guest

    If you were running Linux or UNIX, this might be easier. I don't know
    the UNIX command, but i think its something like "dd". The DOS command
    could be "copy c: <onto another disk>"

    Brian Troisi, Aug 3, 2008

  3. Clueless in Seattle

    Jerry Guest

    The hard drives from the old to new Toshiba's is not the problem, they will
    work just fine, the problem is the OS that's on that hard drive. You can't
    just move a hard drive from one laptop to another and expect it to boot
    unless they are identical laptops.
    There are many stand alone cases that you could install your old hard drive
    into. Most have a usb interface so there's no need to network. Just do a
    google search.

    Jerry, Aug 4, 2008