    If anyone can help me with this I would be grateful.

    Thanks.

    --James--

    James Nipper, Apr 3, 2004

  2. James Nipper

    Noel Paton Guest

    Noel Paton, Apr 3, 2004

  3. James Nipper

    Alias Guest

    Have you tried going into Quick Time's preferences? Or have you looked in
    Quick Time's folder to see if there is an uninstall?

    Personally, I hate Quick Time because it puts itself all over your computer.

    Alias

    "James Nipper" wrote

    Alias, Apr 3, 2004
  4. James Nipper

    James Nipper Guest

    Thanks for these comments. When I check on the icon in the sys tray,
    there is an option to open the program, etc, but those options are greyed
    out. When I did a search for Quicktime, I found what appear to be bits and
    pieces of the program. There is an unistall icon, but strangely, it is a
    shortcut icon and does nothing. There is no exec. file. Again, it looks
    like maybe I have deleted the entire program before, but it left remnant
    files. Perhaps I should delete all of them ???

    Thanks !!

    --James--

    James Nipper, Apr 3, 2004
  5. |

    | Thanks for these comments. When I check on the icon in the sys
    tray,
    | there is an option to open the program, etc, but those options are greyed
    | out. When I did a search for Quicktime, I found what appear to be bits
    and
    | pieces of the program. There is an unistall icon, but strangely, it is a
    | shortcut icon and does nothing. There is no exec. file. Again, it looks
    | like maybe I have deleted the entire program before, but it left remnant
    | files. Perhaps I should delete all of them ???
    |
    | Thanks !!
    |
    | --James--

    Look for a Quick time icon in Control Panel. Open it.

    Disable (from the drop down menu) "Check for Updates Automatically" under
    "Update Check" and "Quick Time system tray icon" under "Browser Plug-in."

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    HillBillyBuddhist, Apr 3, 2004
  6. James Nipper

    Dapper Dan Guest

    James, don't just simply delete, it may cause more problems. If you
    can't find either Options or Preferences in QuickTime so that you can
    disable it from the Startup menu, then find QuickTime in Add/Remove
    and simply remove it from there. And if that doesn't work, then
    download a small utility that manages the Startup process to do it for
    you. I got one from one of the MVP's website (forget which MVP),
    titled STARTUP CONTROL PANEL by Mike Lin (www.mlin.net).
    Hope this helps.

    Dan

    Dapper Dan, Apr 3, 2004
  7. James Nipper

    James Nipper Guest

    To the last two responses,

    1. As stated earlier, QuickTime is NOT found in Add/Remove programs.

    2. I don't find a QuickTime icon in Control panel.

    3. I can't get to any "Preferences" as the program seems to only have
    remnants of files, with no exe file etc. The uninstall icon is only
    a shortcut, and not accessible.

    James Nipper, Apr 3, 2004
  8. James Nipper

    Phillip Guest

    James,

    If the Quicktime icon isn't accessible via control panel, then I would
    re-install Quicktime from the Web, then properly "remove" the full program
    after you disable the start icon from running. It should wipe out everything
    for you.

    Phillip

    Phillip, Apr 3, 2004
  9. James Nipper

    Rina Guest

    Maybe it doesn't show up because you've already tried to remove it and only
    got parts of it....

    Quicktime shows up on my computer in the control panel/ add remove programs.
    It also shows up on the in the start menu and has it's own uninstall.

    Have you considered reinstalling, so that it will over write... then it
    should have all the proper places for a complete uninstall?

    Gram

    Rina, Apr 3, 2004
  10. James Nipper

    James Nipper Guest

    Phillip and Gram, this is a good idea. I will try it.

    --James--

    James Nipper, Apr 3, 2004
  11. James Nipper

    Richardson Guest

    Yes, QT should be in the Add Remove control panel. However, it doesn't have
    to take over a PC...just go through its preferences and limit it as you
    wish. Quicktime is, imho, the best app for watching movie trailers on PCs
    and Macs (I use both). By the way, as a simple point of comparison, I run
    Quicktime, Real and Windows Media Player on Mac OSX. They all run fine and
    co-exist with no issues. However, if I wanted to remove WMP (for example), I
    would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's gone.

    Richardson, Apr 3, 2004
  12. James Nipper

    heirloom Guest

    However, if I wanted to remove WMP (for example), I
    would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's gone<<<<<<<

    ......don't think this is the most desirable method of removing ANY app,
    unless it is a 'stand alone' application that does not require installation.
    You may have removed icons, folders and files with your 'drag and drop'
    method, but, the Registry will be full of ghosts. Subscribing to proper
    install/uninstall methods would be highly preferable.
    Heirloom, old and does it with descretion

    heirloom, Apr 3, 2004
  13. Do you have, or have you ever, had the email client Eudora
    installed? For reasons beyond my ken, Eudora needs QuickTime to
    render some graphics formats people tend to put in HTML{-ish}
    [spit] emails. I believe it even used to include a stripped down
    QT that you could optionally install - but my memory has been
    going and this may be a false one. Particularly since I've had
    QT installed long since for other reasons.
    Ample responses have been made to this. I just wanted to throw
    in the Eudora thing as a possible explanation of how QuickTime
    might have gotten put on your machine.

    Ogden Johnson III, Apr 3, 2004
  14. James Nipper

    Richardson Guest

    You are describing all of the issues that can happen when you delete an
    application in Windows. I was describing how ridiculously easy it is to
    remove an app like WMP on Mac OSX...no Registry to screw up; no DLL issues.
    It's a much cleaner environment for uninstalls.

    Richardson, Apr 3, 2004
  15. James Nipper

    BT Guest

    Do a search for a file called qttask.exe and move that file to another "junk
    folder". That was what I had to do to stop it from loading all the time at
    boot-up. I previously tried setting all the QT preferences to no, don't, etc.,
    but until I changed the directory that the qttask.exe file was in, it kept

    BT

    BT, Apr 3, 2004
  16. James Nipper

    heirloom Guest

    Sorry, Richardson......my bad. I running through the posts, I thought you
    were referring to doing that in Windows. You have my humble apologies.
    Heirloom, old and stepped in it

    heirloom, Apr 3, 2004
  17. James Nipper

    Mistoffolees Guest

    Hmmm...QuickTime is an Apple product. Be happy that apps
    developed through use of the more "open" Windows SDK are
    more pliable than those developed through the proprietary
    Apple "toolbox" and ported for Windows use. In fact, the
    reason there is no registry to screw up or DLL issues is
    due to the fact that Apple uses a "closed" monolithic OS.

    Mistoffolees, Apr 3, 2004
  18. James Nipper

    Richardson Guest

    Hmmm...many would counter that the underlying Windows code is much more
    hidden and proprietary than OSX. And, yes, I'm real glad that there are no
    DLL and Registry fubars on the Mac platform; just as I am quite pleased that
    it is never necessary to run Spybot (or anything similar) on a Mac. That
    said, Quicktime works just fine on my PC.

    Richardson, Apr 3, 2004
  19. James Nipper

    Richardson Guest

    No worries, mate...

    Richardson, Apr 3, 2004
  20. James Nipper

    Joan Hansen Guest

    I have WinXP, QuickTime works fine on my PC's. I thank Apple for it,
    because I have cable and check out short movies videos, etc., I prefer
    QT to Windows Media Player. Also, iTunes is great for downloading
    music, and several games still require QT and some greeting card sites
    require it.

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, Apr 4, 2004