How to get rid of the default opener the GraphicConverter?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by qquito, Sep 12, 2011.

  1. qquito

    qquito Guest

    Hello, Everyone:

    I use a Mac OS X (Version 10.5.8).

    Each time I put an ASCII text file---file name with the extension
    DAT---onto the Desktop, the application "GraphicConverter"
    automatically becomes its opener, the icon of "GraphicConverter" being
    its icon. Upon clicking the file name, it opens in "GraphicConverter",
    of course always with error.

    If I right-click the file name, select "Open With" -> "Other" ->
    "TextEdit", the "TextEdit" becomes its opener, and the icon also
    changes accordingly.

    However, when I put yet another file---file name also with the
    extension DAT, the default opener is still "GraphicConverter".

    How can I get rid of this annoying default opener, the
    "GraphicConverter"? In other words, how can I set "TextEdit" as the
    default file opener while keeping "DAT" as the file name extension?

    Thank you for reading and replying!

    --Roland

    qquito, Sep 12, 2011

  2. qquito

    dorayme Guest

    <
    m>,
    Select the file or icon. Command I (or go to the File menu and
    Get Info). Now go down to Open with and choose a program. After
    you do this, do not forget the last crucial step, press the
    Change All button, it will then ask you if you are sure and offer
    you a continue button. Press it and you are done.

    dorayme, Sep 12, 2011

  3. qquito

    qquito Guest

    Thank you, Dorayme, very much for the help. It works! This problem has
    been bothering me for a while. --Roland

    qquito, Sep 12, 2011