    I go about switching to dual Xeons without reinstalling Windows XP Pro?

    Thank you,
    Luke

    Luke Piasecki, Dec 11, 2003

  2. Luke Piasecki

    Mike Smith Guest

    IIRC this has worked since Win2K (though I don't remember if it's
    automagical, you may have to change the computer type in Device
    Manager). However, in your case you're not just adding a CPU, but
    switching chipsets (I assume), so you may run into other problems.

    Mike Smith, Dec 11, 2003

  3. Luke Piasecki

    DaveW Guest

    If you want to avoid BAD Registry errors, reformat your harddrive and do a
    CLEAN install of XP. You'll thank me.

    DaveW, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Just do a repair install of XP (basically reinstalling on top of itself)
    after you switch. However it's possible you won't need to do so since I'm
    sure the P4 mobo and the Xeon mobo use the same chipset drivers; it won't
    hurt to try to boot up right away. If it doesn't work you'll get a BSOD
    saying unmountable boot volume or somesuch, in which case boot of the XP CD
    and do a repair install.

    Shiranui Gen-An, Dec 13, 2003