how to install windows on IBM thinkpad 240 without CD-ROM or floppydrive?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Pete Riley, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Pete Riley

    Pete Riley Guest

    Hi,

    I was wondering whether I could pull the 2.5 drive out of an IBM
    thinkpad 240 laptop, use a laptop2IDE adapter to connect the drive to my
    desktop system and install a full XP (or 98 or 2000) OS on it, then
    install it back in the laptop?

    I realize that all the drivers will be messed up, but it seems that the
    only way to do it otherwise is to buy an IBM USB CD-ROM drive. I have an
    IOMEGA USB CD drive but that won't work.

    Are there cables that I could use to attach my desktop CD-ROM to the
    parallel port of the laptop to do the installation without pulling the
    drive?

    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Unfortunately, linux isn't an
    option here as I really need a couple of windows apps to work.

    TIA, Pete

    Pete Riley, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Pete Riley

    og Guest

    1). Once you have taken out your drive do an fdisk format c: and
    scandisk/surface.

    2). For win 98 load the CAB files to your drive and install it back
    in your laptop and run setup from dos.

    2b). For win XP goto bootdisk.com and get the boot utility for XP.
    You need to load the i386 folder into your Hd. Boot with the utility
    disk and run smartdrv the setup for winxp is winnt.exe
    Hope this helps.

    og, Feb 20, 2004