    touch ? Thanks for any help. I am running OS X.3.2 and am located in Western
    Switzerland.

    CAB

    C-A Berseth, Jan 13, 2004

  2. There's no way to contact the owner through the base station. The only
    way to find out where it's located is to triangulate its location.
    Using a Powerbook or iBook, walk around with the computer while watching
    the signal strength. By watching how it changes, you should be able to
    zero in on the location.

    Tom Harrington, Jan 13, 2004

  3. C-A Berseth

    DaveC Guest

    It's the old game of Hide the Thimble. "Your getting warmer, warmer, ooo,
    you're *hot* now!"

    DaveC, Jan 13, 2004
  4. Actually, trying to locate a printer is an interesting and creative
    solution. If you printed a short, friendly message, really they ought
    to be grateful to you for pointing out their security hole. But they
    might not be so pleased, so be careful what you do. :)

    Tom Harrington, Jan 14, 2004
  5. But don't use 127.0.0.1, lol.

    What IP range does AirPort assign?

    Steven Fisher, Jan 14, 2004
  6. C-A Berseth

    Bob Harris Guest

    Get a copy of MacStumbler or AP Grapher, and then walk around with your
    laptop (assuming you have a laptop :) You should be able to find
    either of these utilties via http://versiontracker.com/macosx/

    I used this approach just this weekend to figure out which of my
    neighbors were running an open network and contacted them suggesting
    they implement a password on their WiFi (I already have high speed
    internet and was just trying to help my neighbor).

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Jan 14, 2004
  7. C-A Berseth

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    I'm curious -- did they thank you? One of my co-workers tracked down
    an open Airport at work, and was met with quite a hostile response.

    Bev A. Kupf, Jan 14, 2004
  8. That page will show all printers available to the Mac. So if the remote
    system has Mac OS X printer sharing on, the remote printer will show up
    on that page.

    Tom Harrington, Jan 14, 2004
  9. That page will show you all the printers that the Mac has been configured to
    work with, doesn't it? I've never seen it properly do resource discovery.

    Steven Fisher, Jan 14, 2004
  10. Steven Fisher a écrit :
    Well Rendezvous does. I even see CUPS on my FreeBSD picking up shared
    printers on a roaming iBook. :)

    Chong Woo Paig, Jan 14, 2004
  11. C-A Berseth

    Bob Harris Guest

    Not really. Then again, I spoke to the wife, but it was the husband
    that was the user, so she didn't really understand the issue. She was
    kind of cool to the news.

    The good news is that our neighborhood is a rather quiet suburb, so
    there is low risk of anyone doing anything nasty via their open wifi
    port. They are much more at risk from running Windows :)

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Jan 15, 2004
  12. C-A Berseth

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    Ah, that's quite different than the reaction my co-worker got. It was
    -- I know, I keep it that way so visitors to my office can work with me,
    and mind your own g***** business

    Bev A. Kupf, Jan 15, 2004
  13. We've noticed two or three open WiFi networks in our neighborhood; one
    of them is easy to locate--the network's name is their house number.

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 15, 2004
  14. C-A Berseth

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    We live in a condo - all the WiFi networks in the complex are identified
    by the resident's last name. It wasn't pre-determined or anything. We
    did it first, and everyone else just did the same thing.

    Bev A. Kupf, Jan 15, 2004
  15. I live in a townhouse development, and the WiFi networks have names
    like "linksys", "Dave Home", "3Com" and "snorknet". Enough of my
    neighbors are WiFi and cordless phone users to create really annoying
    interference.

    So I logged in to all the open ones and set them all on the same
    channel as one of the closed ones, then changed the passwords on the
    routers. Oh, wait, no, that would be wrong :). I actually bought an
    802.11a AP and card.

    Matthew Russotto, Jan 15, 2004
  16. C-A Berseth

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    Chicken :)

    Bev A. Kupf, Jan 15, 2004
  17. Well, I might have done differently if I'd been able to figure out how
    to hack into the cordless phones :).

    Matthew Russotto, Jan 15, 2004
  18. C-A Berseth

    C-A Berseth Guest

    Thanks to all for your answers and hints !

    I have not been able to find anything useful. No printers show up in
    RendezVous, so maybe
    there are none or they were off at the times when I checked.

    C-A Berseth, Jan 16, 2004
  19. C-A Berseth

    Clark Martin Guest

    Try "Connect to Server" and see if it lists and Mac or Windows servers.
    Their names might give you a clue (since a lot of computers get named
    "Dave's Mac" or stuff like that).

    Clark Martin, Jan 17, 2004
  20. C-A Berseth

    C-A Berseth Guest

    I tried to connect using "Connect to Server", but the "browser" window does
    not browse
    at all ! It seems to require the exact server's name. Or maybe this just
    means there are
    no servers on that network...
    Or can I write something like afp://* or smb://* with the wildcard * ? I
    tried but without
    success.

    I also tried the Network Services app, without success either.

    I have OS X.3.2, was there any change to the behaviour of the network
    browser ?

    CAB

    C-A Berseth, Jan 21, 2004