    like this a few times a day when I'm waiting for something else to
    happen. This simply avoids my having to load the CD to play the game
    that I paid for.

    Burt Johnson, May 1, 2004

  2. Burt Johnson

    nuk Guest

    Haven't tried it myself. Might be a good thing to look into. Back on
    Linux I used to use 'dd' to make a bit-for-bit copy to an iso image.
    Should work reasonably well under OS X as well, though I have no idea
    what the command syntax is anymore; I'd have to do some digging.

    HTH,

    nuk

    nuk, May 1, 2004

  3. Burt Johnson

    Lot-o-fun Guest

    Toast can do this.

    You can also do it (maybe) using Disk Utility. Insert the CD, open
    Disk Utility, and check out the Images menu.

    Lot-o-fun, May 1, 2004
  4. Burt Johnson

    Burt Johnson Guest

    Just tried it. That does create a 'dmg' file, which I can mount.
    However, the game (Neverwinter Nights) still asks for the original CD,
    so it appears to be able to tell the difference.

    Does OS X not mount them in a way that the program sees them the same?
    Perhaps creating a 'img' version that is mounted under Classic would be
    undetectable? That is what I've been doing for the past decade or so,
    but then it was with pre-X games too...

    Burt Johnson, May 1, 2004
  5. Burt Johnson

    Burt Johnson Guest

    Thanks. That does create a 'dmg' file which I can mount. However, the
    game (Neverwinter Nights) still asks for the CD even when this image is
    mounted. It must be able to tell the difference.

    Is there any other tool that fills this need these days?

    Burt Johnson, May 1, 2004
  6. The program is probably checking to see what driver is being used or
    which physical device the volume is on.

    Jerry Kindall, May 1, 2004
  7. Burt Johnson

    mz Guest

    What was the name of the OS 9 utility?

    mz, May 2, 2004
  8. It's more likely that, given that many people now have more than enough
    disk space to keep CD images around, that they're the makers of the game
    are going out of their way to ensure that an actual CD-ROM is present.

    Tom Harrington, May 2, 2004
  9. Burt Johnson

    Burt Johnson Guest

    Could be. If so, that is a real bummer. I pay for every piece of
    software I use, but I sure don't want to keep a game CD in the tray at
    all times. Another case of the behavior of thieves causing honest
    people to suffer too. :-(

    Burt Johnson, May 2, 2004
  10. Burt Johnson

    Burt Johnson Guest

    Interesting idea. That might well work, and be pretty hard to defeat.

    Guess I'll have to check and see if I can find a hacked version that
    defeats the CD checking. I really don't like doing that, and am not
    sure where to even look, but they are probably out there somewhere...

    Burt Johnson, May 2, 2004
  11. Burt Johnson

    Burt Johnson Guest

    I can't really remember. My OS 9 apps folder is pretty bare these days.
    I know I created the Might & Magic III CD image probably 3 years ago,
    and still use it now, though that game only runs under Classic mode.

    This is really the first time in 3 years that I have seriously
    considered trying a new game, based upon a mag article (MacWorld?
    MacUser? MacAddict? I forget which) that said Neverwinter Nights was the
    best D&D on the market. I used to play the board D&D with a band of
    friends in the early 80's, and thought it might be fun to see what a
    top-rated computer version was like.

    Burt Johnson, May 2, 2004
  12. Probably Shrinkwrap. It would make disk images identical to CD-roms. I
    used it to keep my students from ruining CD-roms.

    J-

    Jason Parrish, May 3, 2004
  13. Some people ruin it for everyone.

    Tom Harrington, May 3, 2004
  14. I do blame the game companies for their part in this problem - CD copy
    protection is a serious problem for people who travel, and companies
    should understand this and provide a workaround. I am quite willing to
    go through an internent registration to get a key file tied to my name
    so they can come sue me if it gets on the net, but I want SOME
    workaround.

    Scott

    Scott Ellsworth, May 3, 2004