How to make Mail erase deleted msgs on server too (POP)?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Marc Heusser, Apr 12, 2006.

  1. Marc Heusser

    Marc Heusser Guest

    I am using the newest Mail (2.0.7), Mac OS X (10.4.6) and SpamSieve
    (2.4.3).
    I access my mail through POP. SpamSieve moves junk mail to the Spam
    folder, from where I delete it (move to Trash, and empty trash (erase
    deleted messages in all accounts).
    Still I find my junk mails in my account on the mail server, eg when
    using mail through the web.
    Before, I used Eudora with SpamSieve, and it would delete the junk mail
    on the server too (actually immediately on detection).
    How do I accomplish that with Mail and SpamSieve?

    TIA

    Marc

    (PS I do want to keep the good mail on the server, at least for some
    time.)

    Marc Heusser, Apr 12, 2006

  2. I don't think there's a way to do this. Preferences->Accounts->Advanced
    has a menu with choices of when to remove messages from the server, but
    "When erased on client" is not one of the choices. The closest is "When
    moved from Inbox".

    Barry Margolin, Apr 13, 2006

  3. Marc Heusser

    Tim McNamara Guest

    A question- why are you using SpamSieve and not the built-in Bayesian
    spam filter that is part of Mail?
    Perhaps you want an IMAP account rather than a POP account.

    Tim McNamara, Apr 13, 2006
  4. It's probably not exactly what you want, but you could use POPmonitor or
    something equivalent to delete specific mails on the server.

    jyh.

    jean-yves herve' /\
    Department of Computer Science \/ e-mail -->
    and Statistics /\
    University of Rhode Island \/ Tel. --> (401) 874-4400
    Kingston, RI 02881-0816 /\ Fax. --> (401) 874-4617
    USA \/

    jean-yves hervé, Apr 15, 2006
  5. Marc Heusser

    Marc Heusser Guest

    Because it is better at catching spam.
    That would work if I had all my mail on the server - this is not what I
    do, I just keep recent mail there. But I'll look into that as soon as I
    have my own server.

    Thanks

    Marc

    Marc Heusser, Apr 17, 2006
  6. Marc Heusser

    Marc Heusser Guest

    That is a pity - but thanks for the answer.
    It will be on my wish list for Mail then :)

    Marc

    Marc Heusser, Apr 17, 2006
  7. Marc Heusser

    zit Guest

    Have you tried "Get info" in the contextual menu that you get by
    right-clicking in the list of mailboxes on the left of the Message
    Viewer window?

    zit, Apr 27, 2006