how to network laptop with wifi to existing pc and printer and DSL

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by newtotech, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. newtotech

    newtotech Guest

    I am confused by all the new technology. Sorry if my questions are too
    basic. I have 3 year old pc (without WiFi), printer (without network
    card) and a netgear router (NOT wireless). I have a dsl connection. I
    want to get rid of the ugly cables. But none of the existing equipment
    have WiFi or bluetooth. I am going to buy a laptop with WiFi.

    1) What equipment do I need to share the internet on a WiFi enabled
    laptop?
    2) Does the laptop need to have bluetooth?
    3) What equipment do I need to buy to turn everything cableless
    (printer, pc, laptop)

    I would like to still use the existing netgear router if possible.

    Finally how do I connect everything.

    Thanks.

    newtotech, Nov 28, 2003

  2. newtotech

    Quaoar Guest

    All you will need is a wireless router with wired ports and you will be
    in business. Well, you need to verify wireless protocol 802.11-b or -g
    for the router to match the laptop, probably -b. Bluetooth is a very
    short range radio standard for cell phone, pda, keyboard, etc., to
    laptop (or similar). Bluetooth is not necessary for your current
    purpose.

    Quaoar, Nov 28, 2003

  3. newtotech

    gary Guest

    If you have DSL, then you have a modem with an Ethernet connection (RJ45
    plug, cat5 cable). You need a wifi router. Since most wifi routers also have
    multiple Ethernet ports, your Netgear router is now redundant. To connect
    your printer, you will want wifi router with a parallel port (or USB, if
    your printer is so connected). You will need a wifi adapter for your pc.

    gary, Nov 28, 2003
  4. On 28 Nov 2003 15:14:51 -0800, in alt.internet.wireless ,
    A wireless ethernet PCI card for the PC
    A wireless router or AP
    some CAT5 cable.
    if you want the printer not connected to your PC, a wireless print
    server

    plug the wireless router/AP into one of the ports of your netgear.
    plug the PCI card into the PC.
    Configure the PC and the laptop to talk to the wireless router/AP
    plug the printer into the PC, and share it. OR
    use the wireless print server

    Try
    http://www.homenethelp.com/
    under the internet sharing and computer networking menus

    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Nov 28, 2003
  5. newtotech

    newtotech Guest

    Thanks for all your replies !!! Eventually I want to get rid of all
    the cables (printer cable) and also share information with PDA and
    Cell. I am looking around to see if there are bluetooth adapters for
    my existing printer hp laserjet (for which I spent lot of money when i
    bought it) and pc and make them communicate within the house.

    newtotech, Nov 29, 2003
  6. newtotech

    Whelan Guest

    I am similar to you . . . I've had DSL and a Netgear router for 2 years, but
    a couple of 50 ft blue cables running down the halls to my son's room and
    wherever a laptop is used.

    But yesterday I bought a Belkin wireless router at Circuit City for $79 with
    $70 rebate. It has the same 4 ports as the old router plus it can do
    wireless too. I'm sitting right next to it, so still connected to it by
    wire, but can add a wireless card to new computers we add and avoid the
    cables down the halls.
    It seemed worth a try, and so far, so good. It was an easy installation and
    it is working.
    Nan

    Whelan, Nov 30, 2003
  7. That's the way to do it, and on Friday you could get that router at both
    Circuit City and Staples for $9.95 after rebate, or the D-Link model at
    Best Buy for $19.95. I bought $600 worth of stuff on Friday morning,
    for $900 with $800 in rebates (including, by the way, one D-Link
    wireless router and one Belkin wireless router). It took me 14 hours to
    process about 30 rebates (yes, a real pain in the ass). And yes, I do
    expect to actually get the rebates (already in the mail), I keep close
    and detailed records, copies of absolutely everything, done
    meticulously, and I get virtually all of them (only miss one or two a
    year out of probably 100-150 rebates per year -- you do have to make a
    followup phone call on a few of them, about 5%).

    Barry Watzman, Dec 1, 2003
  8. newtotech

    Gymmy Bob Guest

    One rebate offer per household. I hope you used all different addresses. How
    are you going to get your rebates from your neighbour's mailboxes?

    Gymmy Bob, Dec 1, 2003
  9. No, No, you don't understand.

    I only bought one of each product -- one D-Link router, one Belkin
    router (and one each of about 30 other products). The "one per
    household" rule is not violated.

    If you think that it was, then YOU do not understand how these work.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 1, 2003
  10. newtotech

    Gymmy Bob Guest

    No! I don't understand why...LOL

    Gymmy Bob, Dec 2, 2003
  11. newtotech

    Quaoar Guest

    I have never seen a bluetooth print server, although there might be one
    out there. Wireless and wired print servers are sold by most of the
    major networking vendors in both -b and -g modes and are about $100 for
    a single printer port.

    Quaoar, Dec 2, 2003