  1. Keep it to Usenet please

    Dave Seaman Guest

    Editing and compiling are for wimps. Just use "cat >a.out".

    Dave Seaman, Mar 26, 2005

  2. Keep it to Usenet please

    D P Schreber Guest

    That's a nice trick I never heard of before. Very handy.

    Not that I would ever use this approach for editing root-owned files --
    'sudo vim[or emacs]' still seems like the right way to do that. But a
    good thing to know in any case.

    D P Schreber, Mar 26, 2005

  3.
    Carl Witthoft, Mar 26, 2005
  4. Keep it to Usenet please

    Paul Sture Guest

    Nah, they use teco.

    (Hi, teco fans :) ...)

    Paul Sture, Mar 26, 2005
  5. Keep it to Usenet please

    D P Schreber Guest

    To build emacs...

    D P Schreber, Mar 26, 2005
  6. Keep it to Usenet please

    Paul Sture Guest

    LOL!

    Paul Sture, Mar 26, 2005
  7. Keep it to Usenet please

    Bob Harris Guest

    No. They wire in a front panel of switched and toggle data directly
    into memory. The good old days :)

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Mar 27, 2005
  8. Keep it to Usenet please

    Greg Shenaut Guest

    Another approach is to start your "regular old OS X app" from the
    command line, as in "open -a textedit /etc/crontab". Finder navigation
    is way overrated anyway.

    Greg Shenaut

    Greg Shenaut, Mar 27, 2005
  9. Keep it to Usenet please

    Jon Bell Guest

    <waves>

    I wrote my Ph.D. dissertation (except for the equations) using TECO and
    RUNOFF on a VAX, in 1981-82. It seemed the natural thing to do since I
    had been using TECO for writing FORTRAN source code in my research work.

    Unfortunately, we didn't have a laser or daisy-wheel printer hooked up to
    that VAX, so I couldn't produce good-enough printouts to satisfy the
    dissertation office. I printed it out on the line printer and paid one of
    the department secretaries to type it up on a Wang word processor. She
    said it was the fastest dissertation job she had ever done, because we
    only needed to fix typos (mine and hers).

    In my first teaching job after grad school, I used the TECO and RUNOFF
    combination (on a VAX again) to write tests and lab handouts. At that
    place I had the luxury of a daisy-wheel printer.

    Then I came here in 1985 and started to use a Mac. :)

    Anybody know about TECO source code that will compile under OS X? I'd
    love to see how many of those TECO commands I remember!

    Jon Bell, Mar 27, 2005
  10. It's written in PDP-11 Macro Assembler, so I doubt it. I still have the
    TECO-11 manual even thought I threw out my IDSM (Internals and
    Datastructures Manual) along with the VAX-11 C book and miles of paper
    tape.

    I first used TECO on a TENEX system (modified DEC-10 with paged memory
    from BBN) to write papers in undergrad (it was rather strange to attend
    UCLA but be on USC's payroll). We had a "Xerox Graphics Printer" that
    used it's own PDP-11/45 to print on roll paper. During my time as an
    operator, I spent many a graveyard shift wandering around newsgroups and
    logged into MIT-AI and other machines, discovering emacs (which _was_
    written in ITS-TECO). I should have been doing my chemistry problem
    sets.

    The true TECO enthusiast can tell you what would happens if they typed
    their name into the TECO command line and pressed <ESC><ESC>. I used to
    be able to program in it using TECO's macro facility.

    Comparied to TECO, EDT, TPU, and LSE (DEC's attempt at emacs) were
    _boring_.

    Michael Vilain, Mar 27, 2005
  11. According to this page http://almy.us/teco.html

    "The Linux version has been compiled for Mac OS X, however it hasn't
    been tested yet. Availability will be this summer, I'm just too busy now
    to finish it up."

    From the FAQ on that page:

    Q. Do I need a paper tape punch and reader to use TECO?
    A. No. Modern TECOs will also edit text files.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Mar 27, 2005
  12. Keep it to Usenet please

    D P Schreber Guest

    One unusual feature about using teco as a programming language is that
    the more comments a teco program had, the slower it ran. A couple of
    years ago I found an old printout of a small teco program I'd writen ca
    1978-79. 10 lines, no comments, utterly indecipherable, except the
    section that prompted for a filename (the prompt was the only tipoff).

    D P Schreber, Mar 27, 2005
  13. Will wonders ever cease? Thanks for this. It was good to read up on
    Dan Murphy and "all that stuff" the programmers were doing during the
    day shift. All I had to worry about was backups and sorting through
    line printer listings.

    Michael Vilain, Mar 27, 2005
  14. Keep it to Usenet please

    Paul Sture Guest

    Now that you mention RUNOFF, I recall writing a report using that circa
    1982. Unfortunately the line printer was upper case only, but I printed
    it on the dot-matrix console (after turning the awful "music sheet"
    paper to the blamk side), then photocopied it.

    Our shorthand IBM Golf Ball secretaries were all asking how on earth I
    had done that, and within a month they were doing the same.

    I gave them full screen EDT rather than TECO, but they were so eager to
    use this system, that they would have done TECO too.

    FYI, TECO did get ported to the Alpha version of VMS, though I gather it
    was something of a tricky job.
    Yes, heard that story, but my name did very little.
    I never got into LSE (cheapskate employer when it came out), but the
    others have their strengths and weaknesses, so it's really a matter of
    picking the right tool for the job in hand.

    Paul Sture, Mar 27, 2005
  15. Keep it to Usenet please

    Paul Sture Guest

    Also:

    Q. Must I use a mouse in the Microsoft Windows version of TECO?
    A. No, every command can be issued with the keyboard. In fact, every
    command must be issued with the keyboard because TECO does not use
    the mouse at all.

    :)

    Paul Sture, Mar 27, 2005
  16. I had to deal with it as recently as a decade ago, having had a
    colleague who was particularly fond of "Video TECO"[1]. For some
    reason, the following excerpt from the manual sticks in my mind:

    "nFWXq : Combines nFW with Xq."

    Yeah, that cleared it all up...

    [1] Jim, if you stumble across this on Google, I'm sorry... :)

    Richard Kaszeta, Mar 28, 2005
  17. ED also ran on PR1MOS

    :)

    http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/mclays/pr1mos18.html

    We moved to a VAX 11/785 in 1985 at work. The TPU editor was my first
    ineractive editor. I've heard of DECUS (your host). That was for the
    people in white coats. Didn't know it still existed though.

    Before that (and ED) I used punch cards. And before that, I handed in
    data sheets, that were coded onto papertape by senior students earning a
    little extra, for KU's GIER, running ALGOL-60.

    Axel Hammerschmidt, Mar 28, 2005
  18. Keep it to Usenet please

    Tom Stiller Guest

    I _loved_ that system!

    Tom Stiller, Mar 28, 2005
  19. Keep it to Usenet please

    Ned Schrems Guest

    ALGOL,wow! That was my first experience with a structured language..
    FORTRAN was just never the same after that. I did a lot of indenting in
    BASIC to make it read like ALGOL. VAXen were coool machinees for their
    day although VMS was about a philosophically far from UNIX as you could
    get. None of this piping together a few simple commands. A command for
    everything and lots of options for each.

    Ned Schrems, Mar 29, 2005
  20. Keep it to Usenet please

    Paul Sture Guest

    Unfortunately I never got any hands-on on a PRIMOS system.
    DECUS does still exist, although it got merged into HP's Encompasserve
    after HP took Compaq over (and they'd previously taken DEC over).

    And VMS got ported from VAX to Alpha (64 bit), and there is now a
    production release on Itanium.

    And I've got a copy of VAX/VMS running on the SIMH emulator on my iBook! :)
    I started out with punch cards. We had a team of punch card operators
    who could rattle away at a furious speed, and gossip at the same time.
    The cards were then verified by another person re-entering the same
    data; the machine would stop if it found a discrepancy for closer
    inspection and correction.

    Paul Sture, Mar 29, 2005