    Paul Sture Guest

    That's an excellent summary of the philosophical difference between the
    two CLIs.

    Paul Sture, Mar 29, 2005

  2. Keep it to Usenet please

    Jon Bell Guest

    We've still got our old Prime 8755 sitting in the back of the classroom
    where I teach most of my courses, along with a pile of terminals, a 770-MB
    hard disk drive the size of a washing machine, and a 9-track tape drive.
    We retired them around 1994-1995. If you want 'em, they're yours for the
    cost of shipping. Or just bring your pickup truck down here. :)

    Then we can move our old Data General AViiON in to take its place, and
    free up some space in our server room. That was our first Internet
    server, starting in 1993.

    Jon Bell, Mar 29, 2005

  3. Keep it to Usenet please

    Zaphod B Guest

    OT: Perhaps that explains something I experienced in my first Unix
    (actually, Solaris) course in the mid nineties. There were some people
    there from a VAX-using company that had been sent to learn unix. I came
    from a Mac background (remembber, OS8 days!) and thought *nix was mighty
    advanced and strange stuff. They, OTOH, turned to each other midways in
    the first lesson and said: "Is this supposed to be an operating
    system?", all with incredulity writ large in their faces. That I didn't
    understand at the time, goes without saying. I thought anything *nix was
    more or less the definition OS back then, and didn't realize there were
    whole other worlds out there (other than the WIMP one).

    Zaphod B, Mar 29, 2005
  4. And DEC did actually make their own UNIX, called ULTRIX.

    The VMS design team were supposed to have been sold to Microsoft when
    DEC started to divest assets. Rumour has it, that they worked on Windows
    NT. That's why WNT, to be funny is sometimes called VMS++.

    Microsoft's Wolfpack looks a lot like DEC's Cluster network.

    Axel Hammerschmidt, Mar 29, 2005
  5. user$something == somethingelse?

    Axel Hammerschmidt, Mar 29, 2005
  6. Keep it to Usenet please

    Tom Stiller Guest

    The machines I worked with were 750's back in the late '70s. We built a
    sophisticated (for the time) manufacturing information system to track
    the assembly and testing of color television receivers.

    Tom Stiller, Mar 29, 2005
  7. Keep it to Usenet please

    Paul Sture Guest

    Correct. With the port to Alpha it became known as Tru64.
    The VMS design team was not sold to MS. One key guy (but he'd already
    moved from VMS development into other areas) did go on to design NT.
    LOL. It may look so to the casual observer, but it falls far short of
    the real thing.

    Paul Sture, Mar 29, 2005
  8. Keep it to Usenet please

    Bob Harris Guest

    OpenVMS development still lives on the 4th floor of ZKO3 (building
    code), on Spit Brook Road, Nashua, NH 03062. I know this because until
    December 2004, I was working on the 3rd floor of ZKO3, just one floor
    down.

    Dave Cutler (one, but not the only) VMS developer left Digital and went
    to Microsoft, and as far as I know, was the central focal point for the
    development of Windows-NT. When Microsoft was attempting to get
    Windows-NT launched, Microsoft made deals with several hardware vendors
    to have a portable Windows-NT. As part of this, Digital joined in with
    its new Alpha processor, and also made deals with Microsoft that gave
    Microsoft rights to some of the Digital Clustering technology. However,
    Microsoft didn't really do much with the technology, and they
    effectively killed the Alpha, MIPS, PowerPC, Sparc implementations of
    Windows-NT, by only developing the OS and Microsoft applications for
    intel chips and then passing the costs off making it work on other
    platforms on to the hardware platform vendors. Eventually, because
    there were no apps for Windows-NT, except intel platforms, everyone
    pulled out, but Microsoft still had the technology transfer.

    I'm sure the exact details are slightly different, but for the most
    part, Microsoft really didn't have its heart into anything except intel
    platforms, and it showed.
    Nothing looks like OpenVMS Clusters. It is still the best integrated
    clustering operating system. Everything else just has delusions of
    grandeur :) And I say this as someone that was a Tru64 UNIX and
    TruClusters developer (1 floor down from OpenVMS development).

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Mar 30, 2005