How to organize your PC CD's ?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by - Bobb -, Nov 28, 2006.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    For folks that work on PC's for a living, physically how to you keep it
    organized ? I've have 4 PC's and having issues finding a CD when I need
    it. ( not music - just PC apps) I have CD's from Win9x days to Vista and
    lately I've been cleaning up / putting together some PCs from friends
    for donations and finding stuff is an issue.

    I've been thinking on the best way to organize them all ..
    divide them into OS boxes and application boxes ?
    Store-bought or home-made ( burned by me) ?
    Or by what's on that one Pc and put in a cd case for each PC ?
    " Outdated" vs " current ? ( like Win98 vs Money 2006)

    What do you find works best for you ?

    Example of a typical issue I'm having:
    I turned on an old Pc (donor did NOT give me the original CD that came
    with it) and I wanted to uninstall NAV as it had expired. The uninstall
    app "couldn't find a file" and prompted me for the CD. I knew I had it
    but where ???
    Or
    I made a lot of CD's with specific utilites for networks, disk repair
    etc yet I can't ever find them easily when I need them.

    - Bobb -, Nov 28, 2006

  2. - Bobb -

    Al Dykes Guest

    I buy a box of interoffice envelopes [1], then when I buy some
    hardware or software I grab a new envelope and write the date and a
    description of the item on the outside. The receipt, CDs and
    literature got inside and it goes on the shelf in date order. As much
    as possible, I label the hardware, CDs and floppies and manuals with
    the date. Sharpie pens are your friend.

    All serial numbers and enabling keys get written on the envelope
    and/or printed and kept inside. I can't tell you know much money I've
    saved myself by being able to grab exactly the right stuff and prove
    purchase history when necessary. If I get an updrade to a software
    package I make a new envelope and make a note on the old envelope for
    the date of the new version.

    In the 90s I ran the computers for a software engineering company that
    needed one or two each of *every* flavor of Unix running every version
    of SQL Server, right down to the patch versions. Throw in NT, Netware,
    and VMS. I had a serial number assignment system and 2000+ envelopes
    in a bookshelf. It allowed me to identify exactly what hardware and
    software was on which maintenance plan and what it's history was and
    saved the company a fortune because I could always find the driver
    floppy needed to reuse some bit of hardware.

    Now, when I set up computers at a small business I make them buy
    interoffice envelopes in a color that they don't use. All the computer
    records go in them and they don't get lost in the pile of business
    paperwork.

    At home the system covers all the other crap I've bought, too. I've
    probably got 100 envelopes somewhere.

    [1] For you youngsters and people that have never worked in a
    paper-based office, here's what I'm talking about;

    http://tinyurl.com/ygxw4j

    The old-fashioned brown paper version costs abouy $25/100

    Al Dykes, Nov 28, 2006

  3. - Bobb -

    JHEM Guest

    Or the nice white Tyvek ones are free from Fedex! ;-)

    Excellent system Al, we do something very similar for all of the donated
    units we refurbish and pass on.

    I also photocopy the bottom of all laptops in order to have a record of any
    COAs and the model and serial numbers.

    JHEM, Nov 28, 2006
  4. - Bobb -

    BillW50 Guest

    I use a different approach. I bought 3 photo like albums that hold
    CD/DVDs instead of photos. They can hold a few thousand CD/DVD is my
    guess. Serial numbers and key numbers are kept in my PDAs and backed up
    on my computers. This system uses very little space and why I like it.
    :)

    BillW50, Nov 28, 2006
  5. - Bobb -

    Lasse Jensen Guest

    Having the original CD's in a box in the closet and a ISO copy on the
    fileserver. Mount them with Alcohol 120% or whatever you OS of choice
    supports or burn a copy and throw it away afterwards.

    Lasse Jensen, Nov 28, 2006
  6. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    I started out with that layout - but the sn/license numbers were my
    issue. Prior to that I had the Win95 Cd in the Win95 cd case along with
    the license, win98 in CD case, etc When I put them all in a binder I
    thought - I'll keep all the licenses -" here". Then I couldn't find it
    when I needed it a year later. For instance for store bought apps....
    I use Musicmatch and really like it - I tried others but decided that
    was my music app. So when I bought a new Pc I had the Cd but had no idea
    where the original envelope was with the license ( like the Norton stuff
    too - it comes in an envelope with the code that 's needed to use it).
    So for the ones that shipped in a CD case, I put them back into original
    cases ( that I could find) but some of the original Win9x era
    "envelopes" are long gone so even though I bought it, it's useless to
    me. For others, I made copies and wrote the number right on the new CD.
    Those, I could put in a binder and they were useful. I currently have
    them in 5-6 boxes I got from Newbury Comics - about the size of
    shoeboxes. I was there one day after they had loaded the bins and had a
    bunch of empty boxes. I asked if I could have a few and they obliged me.
    They are about as long as a shoebox but not good for filing until I made
    an insert for each CD case so that I can read "what's in it" without
    having to remove them.

    So you find it best to write down all the license numbers for reference
    and use the albums.... I saw those big albums on sale at CompUSA on
    black Friday but didn't want to lose my spot in the checkout line to
    fetch them. I'll evaluate what I've got and check it out.

    Thanks

    - Bobb -, Nov 28, 2006