    RAID" that sounds like it could do some damage if done with malice in mind.
    Is there any way to password protect the Highpoint BIOS? Kind of like how you
    can password protect the regular BIOS?

    void, Feb 20, 2004

  2. void

    TomG Guest

    no can do. there are no password protections on that bios. all you could
    do is to password protect the main bios so that at startup the "intruder"
    would get a password screen before the system even POST's. of course, a
    bios clear will get around that.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Where the hell do you live???
    The answer to that one is simple: Don't let malicious people use your PC.
    No. IIRC the Highpoint BIOS won't let you delete a bootable array, so that
    would reduce whatever risk you perceive here.
    You really think that someone would deliberately start your PC, Ctrl-H into
    the Highpoint BIOS, and get past two warnings before deleting an array? If I
    were you I'd get a new girlfriend, as it sounds like your current one has a
    vicious temper and knows too much about pee cees.

    On a slightly more serious planet though, if you keep regular backups of
    your data, it won't be desperately critical if your girlfriend (or a disk
    failure) does vape your array.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Feb 20, 2004
  4. void

    GlassVial Guest

    I don't actually use the RAID feature on my KT7-RAID board, but I'm wondering
    If you're that concerned about it, flash the bios to the latest rev
    (2.35 that's been mentioned here several times in the last week) hang
    the optical drives off it and put the hdd's on the main controller.
    Then password protect the main bios. Problem solved.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Feb 20, 2004
  5. void

    TomG Guest

    except that ATAPI devices, at least in the past, have not been recommended
    for the Highpoint controller. don't know if that changed with the 2.351
    bios.

    TomG, Feb 21, 2004
  6. void

    BigBadger Guest

    If you have someone who knows enough, and is malicious enough to do that
    then there are many other ways they could hose your PC...
    Best just make sure that sort of person does not get to use it.

    BigBadger, Feb 21, 2004
  7. Nope... still not recommended to use ATAPI devices on the HPT controller,
    even with the 2.351 version

    Daniel L. Belton, Feb 21, 2004
  8. void

    TomG Guest

    thanks for that confirmation.

    TomG, Feb 21, 2004
  9. void

    GlassVial Guest

    except that ATAPI devices, at least in the past, have not been recommended
    Someone posted that ATAPI devices work again in 2.35. Cannot confirm
    myself, my system is working fine (knock on wood) so I'm not going to
    screw with it.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Feb 21, 2004
  10. void

    John Lewis Guest

    Not that I am aware.

    anyway, if you are paranoid, or afraid of RAID corruption, why not
    partition your critical data and use Drive Image to routinely back it
    up to either a directory on a non-Raid disk or to DVD, or CD ?
    Trivial.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Feb 22, 2004

  11. Hey... if they work, that's great! I need to try it on mine and see, but
    as far as Highpoint goes, they still don't support ATAPI on the HPT
    controller, so it may or may not work depending on your setup...

    Daniel L. Belton, Feb 23, 2004
  12. Don't know who the someone was, but just tried plugging a DVD-RW and LS
    drive into my HPT372 (running 2.351) and they weren't recognised in the BIOS
    nor in Windows XP. Thus, the safe assumption is that ATAPI is still not
    supported.

    Richard Hopkins, Feb 23, 2004
  13. void

    GlassVial Guest

    Well I don't save each and every message in this group so I don't know
    who it was either (it wasn't me, I was just relaying). Obviously that
    information was/is not correct so that's not an option.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Feb 23, 2004