    a printer in OS X?

    Suggestions appreciated.

    Dave

    D. Fox, Sep 16, 2003

  2. D. Fox

    Steve Lidie Guest

    chmod 700 /Applications/Print\ Center

    (;

    It's the only way I know of ......

    Steve Lidie, Sep 16, 2003

  3. D. Fox

    Steve Lidie Guest

    And that should be /Applications/Utilities/..., of course. With my sites,
    deleting the printer seems to be the bigger problem.

    Steve Lidie, Sep 16, 2003
  4. D. Fox

    stan Guest

    What kind of network do you have? Depending on your lab's network
    configuration, you might be able to block whatever tcp/ip port that
    handles the lpr protocol from going out of your lab. This would
    prevent Macs from inside the lab from seeing printers outside the lab.

    stan, Sep 16, 2003
  5. D. Fox

    GDB Guest

    .. . . but that still won't prevent them from editing
    http://localhost:631 . . .

    Glenn

    GDB, Sep 16, 2003
  6. D. Fox

    Kathy Guest

    [/QUOTE]

    When you set up the generic user, did you go to
    System Preferences -> Accounts -> that user, and click on Capabilities;
    then click the box for use only these programs, and under Utilities,
    uncheck the print center?

    Kathy, Sep 17, 2003
  7. D. Fox

    Steve Lidie Guest

    Please explain... thanks.

    Steve Lidie, Sep 18, 2003
  8. change the AuthClass of the admin location to System (don't forget to kill
    -HUP the server for changes to take effect).

    Fred

    Frederick Cheung, Sep 18, 2003
  9. D. Fox

    GDB Guest

    .. . . like the man says :)

    If you didn't know already, OSX prints as standard using the Common
    UNIX Printing System (CUPS). Visiting http://localhost:631 in a browser
    will bring up the interface to this software, including administration
    tasks. You must configure CUPS further (see above tip) to disallow the
    addition of printers to a client's list.

    Glenn

    GDB, Sep 18, 2003
  10. D. Fox

    Steve Lidie Guest