    memories, HD, and other parts?

    Thanks in advance,
    Pablo M.

    pmedinacl, Jan 4, 2005

  2. pmedinacl

    Good Man Guest

    i'm sure someone will come along with a more thorough answer, but my answer
    is that while it's technically possible through buying parts/manic searches
    on ebay etc, its definitely not practical. laptops motherboards vary in
    size, the parts (keyboard,cases,screen parts, etc) are often model specific
    (not just vendor specific), the motherboards are much more complex, AND
    you've got to factor in things like making sure it stays sufficiently cool,
    etc etc.

    Good Man, Jan 4, 2005

  3. pmedinacl

    AndrewJ Guest

    Sort of. You can get barebones notebooks with no OS. They are listed
    that way at pricewatch. There are dozens to choose from but all are
    large desktop replacements like this one:
    http://www.tekstation.com/pd_intel_pentium_m150_ghz_256mb20gb141_xga_notebook.cfm

    AndrewJ, Jan 4, 2005
  4. pmedinacl

    bobb Guest

    NO.

    if u ever open a laptop, u will find micro components, everything is
    miniaturized, it's like a large swiss watch, one would need child's
    fingers and surgical tools to work at them.

    But No Pablo. Laptops don't contain standardized-size parts.

    U can find tons of used laptops at eBay at resonable prices, provided
    of course u know what u are looking for.

    bobb, Jan 5, 2005
  5. pmedinacl

    J. Clarke Guest

    The reason you can put together a PC from case, motherboard, etc from
    different sources is that the parts are standardized so one manufacturer's
    motherboard fits another manufacturer's case.

    Laptops are not standardized--the motherboard has to come from the same
    source as the case in order to fit. While you can get LCD displays
    separately you'd still have to find a case that fits the one you have.
    That being the case there's no real benefit to trying to assemble a laptop
    from parts. You may as well get the case, motherboard, LCD, and power
    supply all in a tested unit--you won't save anything by doing otherwise.

    Once you've got that then you can add disk and memory and in some cases
    processor.

    J. Clarke, Jan 5, 2005
  6. pmedinacl

    Dan Guest

    You can buy barebones notebooks from Asus, ECS, etc. Its basically the
    chassis, motherboard and lcd. You need to add cpu, ram, HD, network card and
    sometimes optical drive.

    Dan, Jan 5, 2005
  7. pmedinacl

    pmedinacl Guest