how to recover from NVidia drivers installation failure

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Mark Galecki, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Mark Galecki

    Mark Galecki Guest

    Hi,

    I have (or had :)) WinXP Home Edition running on my machine, and I
    installed a new Video Card - GeForce2 MX-400. I then downloaded the
    latest drivers from the vendor's website (EVGA
    http://www.evga.com/support/downloads/default.asp, file
    5303XP_WHQL.exe ).

    After I installed the drivers, XP won't boot anymore. I get as far as
    the choice of boot mode. "Safe mode" lists a bunch of drivers, but
    hangs eventually. All other modes, including "Last Working" mode,
    just hang. I can boot off XP CD and get to Recovery Console, and
    there I tried to rename the driver on which safe mode seems to hang,
    and/or rename the AGP driver, and/or disable AGP service at boot, with
    no effect.

    Tech support at EVGA the vendor (NVidia do not have tech support, they
    recommend to contact tech support for card vendor), do not know which
    files got installed, so I can kill them from Recovery Console. They
    say my XP installation is corrupted - technically, they are correct,
    it seems corrupted by their drivers! :)

    So, does anybody know what could the problem be? Where are the files
    that got installed so I can nuke them? Is reinstalling XP really my
    only option?

    Thank you for any insights...

    Mark Galecki

    Mark Galecki, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Mark Galecki

    Butterfield Guest

    Butterfield, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Mark Galecki

    Mark Galecki Guest

    You can also boot off the Winxp CD and do a 'repair' install. Let us
    Yes this worked - I did not realize I had to choose "Setup" first,
    before "Repair". Counterintutive, since "setup" implies doing
    something from scratch, but then, we should understand that this is
    typical in the way Windows works. Thank you very much.

    Mark Galecki, Feb 4, 2004