    I don't suppose the BIOS is smart enough to use default parameters to boot
    up, and load the tweaked parameters after the POST (so the user has a chance
    to enter setup to modify them)?

    peter, Feb 26, 2007

  2. peter

    Paul Guest

    It depends on the motherboard, and the quality of the BIOS code.

    On my Asus A7N8X-E, recovery is as simple as turning off the
    power and turning the power on again. In all the overclocks
    I did on that board, only once did I have to resort to using
    the CMOS jumper (because it got stuck).

    On one of my other computers, I've had to use the "Clear CMOS"
    jumper, to regain control each time. That was so annoying, I
    stopped trying to overclock it. (And you do the "Clear CMOS"
    with the computer unplugged, for safety. The manual will have
    a specific procedure listed for how to clear the CMOS, so read
    it.)

    So try the power switch on the back of the computer first, and
    see if you can escape. If that doesn't work, unplug and use
    the CMOS jumper.

    Also, you can read the "CPU Parameter Recall" paragraph in the
    manual. They describe the way the feature is supposed to work.

    Have you been monitoring what is going on with CPUZ from
    cpuid.com ? That board uses the 3:2 divider at FSB1066 (DDR355)
    and it could be using 1:1 at FSB800 (DDR400). You might want to
    verify things first with CPUZ, before changing the RAM timing.
    (The factor of two in the above statements, is the ratio
    between quad pumped FSB and dual data rate RAM.)

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 26, 2007

  3. peter

    Guest Guest

    I believe on the P5PE you'd either need to turn it off, then back
    on within a few seconds, or hold the reset button in for longer
    than 5 seconds. The bios is smart enough to know when
    unrunnable parameters have been set, and will reset to factory
    defaults.

    Guest, Feb 26, 2007