How to recover NTFS Files from HFS+ formatted external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Bashar, Aug 23, 2008.

  1. Bashar

    Bashar Guest

    Hi,

    I have an external hard disk which had NTFS format, by mistake was
    cleared and reformatted to HFS+ format, and now Windows computers
    can't read it.

    I don't want to reformat it through Mac again, as this would risk the
    data already there. So I am trying recovery tools on Mac that would
    recover NTFS files. So far I only found R-Studio for Mac, which seems
    pretty good, but most files I try to recover gives me error from what
    I tried in the demo version, and it hangs a lot.

    I don't mind paying for the software, but is this limitation related
    to being demo only? Is the tool good and will do the best possible?
    Any other tools? Any other suggestions?

    Thanks

    Bashar, Aug 23, 2008

  2. Bashar

    billy Guest

    Here are some others that may do the job -

    File Salvage -

    http://subrosasoft.com/OSXSoftware/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1

    Data Rescue II (separate versions for the PC and Mac) -

    http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php
    http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue_pc.php

    And, the info here may be useful, too, if you can use it
    in the opposite direction -

    http://www.broes.nl/2008/01/restore-an-apple-partition-map/

    Billy Y..

    billy, Aug 23, 2008

  3. Bashar

    Bashar Guest

    Thanks, but as I said, Windows machines are not able to read it.

    Bashar, Aug 23, 2008
  4. Bashar

    Bashar Guest

    Thanks. I will give them a try, though nothing mentions NTFS on Mac

    Bashar, Aug 23, 2008
  5. Bashar

    Tom Stiller Guest

    There is also a (free/donation)-ware NTFS project at:
    <http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/>

    Tom Stiller, Aug 24, 2008
  6. Bashar

    Bashar Guest

    I guess I didn't explain the case properly. Right now for some reason,
    Windows does not identify the hard disk at all, so I basically cannot
    perform any operations on it.

    Bashar, Aug 25, 2008
  7. Bashar

    Bashar Guest

    Bashar, Aug 25, 2008
  8. How about trying Macdrive7 ($49.95) this will allow a multiplatform
    environment for your PC to read/write from the Macs HFS+ format andyou
    would be able to recover your files .

    demetrachristopher, Aug 26, 2008
  9. Bashar

    Bashar Guest

    Yes right. That's one option. Though I went with another one. I got
    the license for R-Studio Mac. It got back 70 GB from what I expect to
    be 80 GB, though I'm still checking why some files don't open. Seems
    portion is corrupted. Strange thing is, all PDFs I tried did not open.
    I am migrating data to Windows again to try and make sure.

    Nevertheless, images were the most important data, and majority seems
    to be recovered.

    Thanks all.

    Bashar, Aug 26, 2008