How to reference pictures, music, videos, documents, etc. on another computer

Discussion in 'Apple' started by MarkW, Oct 29, 2006.

  1. MarkW

    MarkW Guest

    I am getting a MBP on Tuesday and am relatively new to the Mac other
    than a imac that my son just bought a couple months ago so have a
    question.
    On my Windows XP machine I have of course a my documents, my music, my
    pictures, and my video folder as well as my outlook (email, contact,
    calendar) data. The way I have it set up now is I have two profiles,
    one a away one for on trips, at meetings, etc. and the other a home
    profile (two login profiles). I have a main computer desktop that
    kind of acts as a server and where I store these files all in their
    respective directories. What I do is at home I simply use a utility
    for Windows XP called TweakUI which I can simply install on my laptop
    and have it point to those respective directories on the server. Then
    in the away profile since I use this on the go at times I have it set
    up to point at those directories on the local computer. What this
    means is of course from time to time I have to copy those files to the
    local laptop to keep them up to date.
    Now that I'm switching to Mac I know there is a music, video,
    pictures, and documents folder. As well, I am unsure if I will use
    Entourage for a PIM or use the ical, calendar, and mail apps.
    I assume first there is a way to make two profiles, a home and away.
    if this is correct I know in the away profile I can put everything in
    the correct folders on the mac but what about when I'm at home. Can I
    have these folders, music, etc. point to a folder on the main computer
    like i do with TweakUI on XP or is there probably even a simpler way
    to do it on the Mac?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

    MarkW, Oct 29, 2006

  2. Sounds doable. A multiple user system is well established in OS X,
    which would probably suit your two "profile" requirement. Your work one
    can look to the local drive for its "Home" folder, while your home user
    can look to the network. To set this up, have a read about "Remote Home
    Directories" or "Network Home Directories". I'm not sure how to set it
    up actually, but there's plenty of tutorials around.

    Heath Raftery, Oct 31, 2006